Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
travis

RSlogix 5000 Controller Tags and Program Tags

7 posts in this topic

Hi all, Does anyone know how to filter out those unused tags in program from the controller tags or program tags ? Is there any rslogix 5000 tools or inside the rslogix 5000 able to do it ? Currently the way I do is cross reference from each tags which consumed a lot of time, is there any shortcuts ? Thanks in advanced. Have a great day. Edited by travis

On the rare occasion that I need to delete a tag I select it (or them) and then hit delete. If the tag is used it won't go away. The downside to doing that is that if an HMI references the tag but the program doesn't it'll still let you delete it so the HMI is unhappy.

In the database view for any tag database (the Controller scope or any Program scope) has a "Show:" filter. Set the 'Show' filter for 'Unused', and that will show you any unused tags in that database. You can then switch to the Edit Tags tab on the bottom, and delete any of these tags. Tags that are 'on scan' by an HMI will not be able to be deleted online. There is no universal way to show all of the tag databases in the project; you need to go through each Program.

Thanks Michael Lloyd and Ken Roach. Thanks for the information.

is that the case for all HMI's? I've deleted tags and lost my link in ClearSCADA. I haven't used an AB touchpanel or RSView in a while

The 'tag cannot be deleted while on scan' function may be specific to Rockwell Automation tag clients like FactoryTalk View or RSLinx Classic. I use a lot of PanelView Plus terminals, which run RSLinx Enterprise under the hood, and that's when I have generally seen RSLogix 5000 refuse to delete a tag that's in use by an HMI. It's either a safety feature or an annoying bug, depending on your perspective.

I think it's a good feature but HMI's like Wonderware and ClearSCADA often use third party drivers (Kepware for instance) and there is no tag protection with them. I've proven that to myself more often that I would care to admit