Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
reanimator01

Advice about automation growth, (help!)

16 posts in this topic

Hi! I´m an electrical engineer, I started as an electrician, and as a electric motor technician, and I´ve been working in some companies, but the automation was and it´s been very simple, only digital I/O. I´ve taken courses using festo, siemens and allen bradlley software, I went trough the HMI´s examples and programation, and the last course I took was analog signals with AB. I´m very interested continuing studing automation, and I don´t have any chance to practice at work, But I discovered very interesting these branch of the engineering, But, These field it´s very big, very massive, a lot of information, What´s next? what would you suggest for me to do? networks? robotics? Or still being a fan of the automation an continuing with my full time job as an maintinence supervizor,(with almost nule chance to programing plc). I hope your response in no time! help! Enrique from Mexico. Edited by reanimator01

Find a project for yourself. Either automate something at home, or find something at work that needs to be automated and convince your superiors to let you do it.

I agree with Mr. Ross. Classroom training is only the first step. You now need some experience actually working with the stuff.

Hi JRoss , these message is just to show you the things I've been doing, and to ask you if I'm on a good track, See you later

I can't really gauge that from a couple of pics, but if you're programming and learning, then you're on a good track.

Ok, if I finish the little project I´m working now, I will send you more pics, or video in this same conversartion. See you! Thanks

Hi! Ross and Joe E. How are you doing? Well I´m gonna to describe the little proyect I just finished, I used an 5/03 16K processor, and the 1746 NI4 , a 1746 NO4I analog modules, the aplication can be open and run on a proyect on rsview32. I simulated a weight cell with analog output, in the 1746 NO4I And the goal on these proyect is to fill a tank with 5 diferent kind of materials, ant you can select the desire cuantity on kilograms, you can fill it with a combination of the 5 materials, or could be only one of them, or all of them, anyone you need to choose, but these combination would be allowed only if you not exceed the limit of kilograms thar would overfill the tank. first you must place the can on the place to fill, later you must recognize the weight of the tank, (that can vary) , these weight will be stored on an F, later you can start to fill the tank, and the valves will open starting and closing in the same order. later when I start to change the mA in the analog imput the outputs triggered in order untill the desire weight of all the materials is reached. at the end a message is sowed when the filling has ended. then. what doyou think? Edited by reanimator01

Looks good! You didn't start simple, analog I/O takes a little getting used to. Good job!

Thanks a lot! But I need more practice, could you (or anyone) recommend an internet place or a book or a electric drawing, to develop another proyect? see you and thanks again.

Hi, I know what you feel like, nothing's big enough to feed my thirst, the problem is that getting new projects ain't that easy. And having your own may quickly become quite expensive considering the price of hardware, license etc... If programming is the point, I suggest you to add a string to your bow by considering learning computer programming such as C/C++ or whatever else you want. It's free, doesn't take particular hardware but a computer, you can learn at your pace, experiment whatever you like, do whatever you want, and best of all : you do it if you want to. I've been practicing C for a few years now (started when PLC programming at work started to become sad) and it has changed my life. Best of all, it has also increased my PLC programming skills by understanding many different programming mechanics such as efficient alogorithmic and hardware understanding, like how a UC exactly runs. That is if you turn to a low-level langage, for sure JAVA doesn't request much of knowledge about hardware... What I mean is that if it is all about having fun developping, there are many other ways than waiting for somebody to give you a project.

Hi! mr J ross and drx, how you´ve been? I just write these post to show and ask your opinion, I just got a call about a proyect, a relative of mine started to produce a machine, it is use for extracting oil, they were able to produce some units the last year, but the person who was performing the programation was fired, these person didn´t grant the complete plc program, electric drawings and information about the proyect to my relatives, ( it is a family company) He did not give them anything, they asked me first, the complete electrical drawings of the proyect, the plc program (I was able to upload it to my computer) the HMI program ( I was not able to upload it is a Delta hmi) The machine is composed with 1 50 hp motor 1 2hp motor 11 24vcd inputs 8 relay outputs 2 analog inputs They want for me to perform the complete job, and then, the thing here, I started these year with the purpose to get in programation but I´m not an expert, and the question is what could be the risk on here? and if you have anny recomandation for me, would be great... see you later and best regards.. Edited by reanimator01

In addition to complete electric diagrams, you'll want to put together a detailed sequence of operation based on the process. You can probably use the existing PLC program as a starting point. I use a spreadsheet format, but a flow-chart would probably be easier for a simple machine since it's graphical and easier to understand. You'll also want a detailed list of alarms and the resulting actions. Since you've got a PLC and HMI, more is better! Also, try to find programming software for the HMI, that will be an essential piece of rebuilding the system, even if you end up switching to a different unit. Risks? Make sure you find, read, and understand the regulations for electrical design and process safety for that particular industry. A starting point in figuring what you need might be to post a new topic on this forum asking for information.

Geez - I am an electrical guy and do not understand flow charts! Hate the dang things - give me a description - they are for mechanical engineers!

BobB - Here, see if this helps! http://xkcd.com/518/

ok, I´ll watch it out! i´ll keep you apprised about it see you later, thanks!

Very funny - and so are moist of the others when you click left/right. I guess if someone did a flow chart with manufacturing beer or red wind I might get it?