Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
machinemaker

analog filtering

19 posts in this topic

I am using RSlogix 500 on a Micrologix 1100. I want to filter the analog coming in. It is jittery. I can not find an instruction to do the filtering. I read a couple of other posts for other models and could not believe what they were saying. It was taking like 5 or 6 rungs to do something I thought would be simple. At least it is using other brands which I will not say which one. :) Any suggestions. thank you.

Quick and dirty filtration: Use a CPT (compute) function and use the following formula. Replace tag names with appropriate addresses. You'll most likely want to use floating point. Input_Filtered = Input_Filtered + Filter_Constant * ( Input_Raw - Input _Filtered ) The Filter_Constant should be in the range 0.01 - 1.00, and the closer to one it is, the less filtration there will be.
1 person likes this

I just created a new project using the 1100 Series B. In the I/O Configuration, select on the part number in slot 0. The Adv Config button lights up, select that nad navigate to the Embedded IO Configuration tab. From that spot you have some selection for filtering.

I am using a 1762-if2of2 card in slot 1. I did see for slot 0 there is filtering. I do not understand where Input_Filtered comes from.

It's a recursive algorithm, where the result from the previous scan is used in the calculation for the current scan. I've attached a spreadsheet that will hopefully help. InputFilter.zip

Input_Filtered is a parameter. Like for the equation A^2 + B^2 = C^2, A, B, and C are parameters. For your project you would replace the parameter in the equation with a register, like F8:0. He just as easily could've called it Bob but then it wouldn't make sense. Input Filtered is the result of the calculation. So you need a place to store the data. Input_Raw would be replaced with the input data that you want to filter. Filter_Constant is another register that you would store the constant in, for instance, F8:1

Example: Input_Raw = F8:0 Filter_Constant = F8:1 (0.01 to 1.00) Input_Filtered = F8:2 F8:2 = F8:2 + F8:1 x (F8:0 – F8:2)
1 person likes this

MY brain is a little fuzzy being on day shift while I normally work nights, but you'll also want to preload F8:2 to either F8:0 or zero on first scan. Can't recall the logic of which and why right this minute.

Shift change is such fun Im thinking F8:2 needs to be zero so that you don't get "instant filtering to some unknown value)

I would think you'd want to set Input_Filtered = Input_Raw on the first scan so that you start off at the true input value, and just filter changes from there. Starting at 0 (or whatever happened to be there) means it could take a few scans to get into the right range. That may not be critical to most applications, but it's good practice.
1 person likes this

the CPT command is not available in the Micrologix 1100. AB sure needs to catch up with the times. Very limited commands in the micrologix. I think they are really missing it. It takes more rungs then necessary to do something so simple in other manufacture's programs. AB does have a solid product, but I hate to use the word, barbaric. I have no choice, I am told I have to use AB for certain projects.

Yes, the 1100 is an old product. The 1400 has that instruction as well as an on-board Ethernet/IP port.

1100 has an on board Ethernet port

The 1100 isn't much older than the 1400 and also has an on-board Ethernet port. Perhaps you're thinking of the 1000?

Keep in mind if you're using a 1762-IF4 the total update time isn't necessarily what you select on an individual channel. It is the AVERAGE of ALL FOUR channel filter settings, even the ones you aren't using. So if you want a 450ms update time, you need to set all four channels to 450ms in order to achieve it.

Oops, yes. That's exactly what I was thinking of. :(

Does it matter how often you call the filter routine? Seems like that would have some bearing on how it functions.