Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IO_Rack

SLC Ethernet Options

7 posts in this topic

I'm looking for Ethernet options for an SLC 5/04. Ultimately we will replace them with 5/05's, but in the mean time we would like Ethernet connectivity to FactoryTalk View SE while maintaining our existing DH+ connections. The ENI will be our last resort. I was hoping to avoid using any Serial to Ethernet converter. I was wondering if any third party companies like ProSoft has something available. I did see that ProSoft has one but only works on a 5/05. Go figure. It doesn't necessarily have to be Ethernet/IP.

I would suggest this gateway: GW1000-ABEIP Ethernet/IP & AB Ethernet interface to AB DH+ http://www.datalinkconverters.com/ethernetip-to-dh It is an Ethernet I/P to DH+ gateway and it works quite well. It communicates nicely with RSLink and I have worked with it successfully with Inductive Automation's Ignition SCADA package using their built in OPC-UA module. It's especially nice if you have an existing DH+ network as you can just put this on the existing network and port it over to Ethernet I/P. Of course there is also the option to use a Control Logix setup as a gateway but that is much more expensive.

Which Prosoft modules were you looking at ? All the MVI46 modules I am aware of, that fit in the SLC chassis, will work with an SLC-5/03, 5/04, or 5/05 controller. Networked standalone devices that do Ethernet protocol translation would only work with the SLC-5/05. To most closely emulate SLC data tables, you want the MVI46-DFNT. The Digi One IAP is a popular alternative to the 1761-NET-ENI. If you are willing to use 'virtual serial ports' on the PC side, you could use less expensive serial/Ethernet converters as well. There is a gateway device that provides a virtual serial port over Ethernet to a 'KF2' style DH+ interface; it's been sold with various names but I think it has a stable home as the 'GW1000'.

Thanks for the recommendations. Yes Ken, I was looking at the MVI46-DFNT. I was misled when briefing myself on the specs. It will indeed work with the 5/03, and 5/04 as well. This looks like a good option if it were longer term. I'm really liking the gateway option. This will make our installation a lot more seamless and cost much less. I've looked at the Prosoft AN-X2-AB-DHRIO although both of you have recommended the GW1000. I've had great success using other Prosoft products and their support has been very good. What are the differences? I'm gun shy of using any serial (RS232) converter due to my experience with the 1761-NET-ENI. I believe Rockwell even hates this product. Honestly, since we'll have the FTV SE in parallel with RSVew32 for a while, and a DCS, and possibly a few programmers, I'm assuming any serial converter is out of the question. Does this raise any concerns about the GW1000? Thanks guys, I really appreciate your experiences.

The Best, but most expensive option is to buy a Control Logix rack, power supply, a 1756-DHRIO and a 1756-ENBT. You can then browse the DH+ network in RSLinx over Ethernet, message between processors, and yes, communicate with FTView SE. You could also have a dedicated PC with a PKTX(D) card and RSLinx Gateway, but the problem with that is you're relying on Microsoft Windows running to keep the link up.

The MVI46-DFNT would be my first choice, and the AN-X2 second. Haven't used the DWL1000, so I can't comment on it's features/functions, but I would look at http://www.equustek.com instead. Regarding the DWL1000, I'm sure people have had success with them, but the company "Datalink" is VERY sketchy. source: http://equustek.info/index.html Edited by y2kmfic

Seems like others have recommended the GW1000, and I would as well. There are a bunch of sites selling this gateway, but this one seems to provide some decent specs and info: http://www.gatewayprotocols.com/