Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KYGrousehunter44

FactoryTalk Studio

3 posts in this topic

Thank God I've got a server, with several hard drives. I've have both V 3.01 and V 4.0. I tried XP Pro. I tried Win2000 server. I tried Vista Business. I tried Windows Nt 4.0. Thanks to ebay, I was able to get Win2000 SP4. FactoryTalkView Studio then loaded up and ran without any issues. It even recognized my panelview plus 600 for the first time. All the other OS's gave me the "unrecognized device" error no matter what EDS I threw at it. No joke. Took me more than a month. It seems the newer versions are even worse, according to the forums. It's crap like Rockwell Software and Allen Bradley that keeps Automation Direct in business. And trust me folks. I really, really, really hate saying that. If Rockwell came up with their own operating system, I would pay good money for it. Who cares if windows is on the machine? As long as you could grab tag values with OPC or DDE over ethernet, who cares? I'm even thinking about taking a look see at the ABB and Opto22's now.

Is this a question, or did you want to just air some frustrations ? If you spent a month of frustration trying to get version 3.0 (2003) or version 4.0 (2006) to work on a variety of obsolete operating systems, I think you spent far more in time and trouble than it would have cost to get a stable copy of Version 6.10 or Version 7. Get on to the Forums early in your projects if you want to avoid compatibility and stability pitfalls.

FactoryTalk View is up to version 7.0. You probably would have wasted a lot less time just buying the upgrade. I know it's expensive, but I'm guessing you don't work for free, either.