Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
whatupwiththat

GE 90-70 IO Conversion

2 posts in this topic

Hi All, We are reviewing options to migrate our existing GE 90-70 I/O modules over the Rx3i I/O modules. While there are several options, the two straight forward ones are: 1) Use the Rx3i Conversation Rack and Adaptors to act as a bridge between our existing 90-70 field wiring and the new Rx3i modules, OR 2) Completely replace all 90-70 racks, modules and field wiring with equivalent Rx3i mdoules and accessories. (Just FYI if you haven't seen option #1 then you can watch a YouTube video .)The quick and easy way is option #1, but I am worried about long term maintenance and future I/O expansion efforts might be more problematic with this kit. Option #2 would require more planning, engineering, labor and coordination efforts with Operations (this is a production system), but I see it as a solid, long term solution. Has anyone here performed a 90-70 migration? If so, what option(s) did you pursue and what were your experiences? Thanks in advance.

You should have the empty slots, or it is not difficult to add another rack for future expansion, it need not be on a conversion rack. I do not see much choice with labor the way it is today. :) What this does is eliminate the labor of wiring all of the RX3i replacement I/O modules and then troubleshooting proper termination. You will still need to verify that there is an equivalent RX3i module for each 90-70 module displaced. Edited by RussB