Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Andrew V

Kinetix 300 - Enable Issues

2 posts in this topic

I am currently using a kinetix 300 drive to run a servo motor that threads a nut onto a threaded rod to a specific depth. During some rundowns the drive will stop turning (almost like it is bound up) and the drive will display DIS on the display. The only way to recover is to break the light screen and remove your hand from the screen and it starts back up. We have a wire running from a contact on the safety relay going to the hardware enable input of the drive and the software enable bit is on all the time in the logic. I have validated that the relay for the light curtain is staying on during the process so that is not disabling the drive.Also when the drive is disabled during the rundown no faults from the drive are present. The second issue that might be related to this is issue is we have seen the enable from the drive to PLC go low even when the software enable is high, hardware enable input is HIGH and when I go on the drive's interface through the web it says that A3 (Enable) is High. At this point I can also toggle the enable bit from the drive to PLC ON and OFF which is very strange. Has anyone seen issues with this enable bit in the past? Any help would be appreciated.

Is the Kinetix 300 connected to a ControlLogix-family controller over Ethernet ? Are you monitoring the I/O connection to see if it is failing ? What model of safety relay are you using ? Is there any chance the safety relay is performing a pulse test on the output ? I have only used a few Kinetix 300 family controllers, and the only time we had trouble was when the I/O connections failed over Ethernet because of a failing switch.