Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Studiologe

RSLogix 5000 Controller not listed

9 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm quite new to this Allen Bradley environment. I used to program Siemens PLCs. I just got a Allen Bradley 1769-L30 Compact I/O CPU 1769-L3O LOGIX 5530 CPU and I'm using RSLogix 5000 (version 17,18,19) and when I try to create a new project, my CPU is NOT listed. How can I update the HW catalog in RSLogix, so that my controller is available from the drop-down menu? Thanks for any hints. Stud

You will need an older version of RSLogix 5000. I think the last version for the L30 was 13 or 15.

Is this an older "1769-L30", or a new "1769-L30ER" or "1769-L30ERM" ? The original CompactLogix model 1769-L30 had two RS-232 ports and supported RSLogix 5000 versions 8, 10, 11, 12, and 13. The modern CompactLogix 1769-L30ER and 1769-L30ERM supports RSLogix 5000 versions 20 and higher. The old model name "5530" suggests this is an older controller, sharing similarities with the original 1756-L1 controller, called a "5500". The modern CompactLogix are similar to the 1756-L7x controllers and have the model name "5370". In short: you need RSLogix 5000 v13.

Good morning and thanks for all the great replies. Is there a way to download an old version like RSLogix 13.0, or does Rockwell not offer it any longer because it was said to be very unstable? Would I need a license key? What about RSLogix emulate? I briefly read about it on a website, does that emulate older controller platforms, or is that a type of simulator, to run your project offline and simulate it? Attached are two pics of the CPU i got. Can someone give me a hint into what controller / CPU type I should invest to use with my actual platforms that I have? I'm using RSLogix 5000 17,18,19 and Profibus including Remote I/O would be a nice feature. Thanks again, this is a great forum and lots of help which I appreciate!! Edited by Studiologe

I had twenty of these at my facility and had to replace all. They had a high failure rate, but the scariest part is that when they failed they would just stop executing the program and the outputs would freeze. This is not a good scenerio for safety reasons. The L30 is a poor product. Rockwell ended up replacing all of them at their cost. If this is controlling real world equipment, I would highly recommend replacing the L30 with the L31 or newer. I believe your version of the software supports the L31.

Ok, I was just looking into a 1769-L35E/A (FW 19) Does that mean FW is the revision? (The unit is Series A, S/W F/W 19.11, Mfg 2005) FW=Firmware I guess and I should be able to program it with my RSLogix5000 ver. 19 correct? And it has Ethernet, so I probably could just hook up an ethernet cable to download my programs into the controller, or connect field I/O to it? Let me know please! Thaanks guys

Would that Controller work with my Software? Please let me know, I do Not want to make another unnecessary purchase. Thanks guys!

You will have to match the RSLogix 5000 software Major Revision level to the CPU's firmware Major Revision one. Hence, if the controller carries FW 19.xy, you will have to use RSL5K Rev.19.zw. For TechConnect Support customers (active contract), any software revision is free and available for download at: https://download.rockwellautomation.com/webupdates/enter.aspx

The 1769-L20 and -L30 were never very popular, but in my experience that was more due to their lack of network ports and small memory, and relatively high price compared to SLC-5/05 (at the time). V13 was very stable, though clearly some installations had trouble, as attested above. V13 is available to any software licensee who has a support contract, and was included on the DVD for years. If you are using v17 through v19 already, you want a 1769-L32E or 1769-L35E. Those were the most popular previous-generation CompactLogix controllers. The modern CompactLogix include the 1769-L30ER and its family members. Because support for these starts at v20 (which you aren't using yet), I would not get one unless you plan to get a support contract and use v20 and newer controllers.