Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PLCstudent

New PLC student questions?

5 posts in this topic

I'm a new PLC student and new to the boards here obviously. I recently started a Industrial electronics and PLC technology program. I'm loving the program so far, two 100's on my first two exams. The program is from "The Cleveland institute of electronics" by the way. I think the course will take me rough 8 months or so to complete. My questions are how hard will it be to find a first gig right out of school, and what should I expect starting pay wise? Good to find this forum, I'm sure I will find them useful. Thanks for any help. Edited by PLCstudent

The following response it strictly my opinion after 30 years in Industrial Controls. You may not like some of what I say and others my disagree. This is only one opinion, but shared by several I feel. How hard it is to find "a gig" straight out of school will depend in large part on what you define as a "a gig". If you expect to find a six figure paycheck supervising a crew of programmers and doing major projects you're going to be dissappointed. If you've got a broad experience base and bring some electrical and machanical skills to the party as well as your programming training and are willing apprentice, there are probably several automation houses where you can gain experience. You might also find an Engineering Track apprenticeship with a fortune 500 manufacturing concern, but beware most of them want 4 year degree candidates, not a Tech School Certificate. My best advice is find work, any work even if it flipping biurgers at In and Out until you can land something in your field. I actually got my first job interview in the field while cleaning Parking Lots at Ronald's House. IF you're not willing to work long and hard in the Controls Field, you're in the wrong field. Hope some of the above rambling is pertinent.

Wow, thanks for the response. I IN NO WAY expect to be in charge of a crew right off the bat, or ever for that matter. I also HAVE NO illusions of a 6 figure salary. I was thinking more of an entry level PLC technician/programmer in the 20 to 25 an hour range. Thanks for the response again, I appreciate it. I'm surprised no one else has any info, or take on this subject?

I'm 25 and in my 3rd year of my career. If you look on the east side of Michigan, there are TONS of offers for Controls Engineers with almost any kind of experience. Experience is key though. Luckily with my degree, I had to spend three semesters working with a group of controls engineers, monitored by my school. That experience got me a good little gig making 20 bucks an hour. I've moved up quite a bit since ;) There's been a drought of Controls Engineers and industries are beginning to build again. From my experience, you are definitely going in the right direction. There will be small mom and pop type shops that'll be willing to hire you if they have someone experienced enough to guide you. Also, I hope you like to travel.

I would have to agree BobLfoot, long long hours. I know of a great need for PLC/electrical techs in my area. The pay isn't always the best but it gets you a foot in the door and gives you much needed experience.