Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GVT

SYSMAC NJ

45 posts in this topic

I just started to use Sysmac Studio. Why can't I use a 'KEEP' function? Is this not part of the instruction set anymore? I can't find it anywhere. If so... very frustrating.

If that's your biggest frustration, you are very lucky :/

My frustration is increasing exponentially. My first go at Sysmac Studio is not going well. I have run into a bigger problem. I don't know how to upload the program from my demo NJ unit! Apparently uploading and downloading is now done through an option call 'synchronization'. When I tried this the option for 'transfer from controller' is not available (i.e. option is 'greyed' out). What is going on here?

Hello Just change your offline project's version to match that in the NJ. Even if you're uploading, you need a dummy project (same type and version) to upload in to. Pp

NJ doesn't use keep, but the RS instruction (which is an IEC standard) works exactly the same. And In Sysm,ac Studio, switch to Online mode, then select Synchronize, and Transfer From Controller. Synchronize replaces upload and download. There are some really good eLearning modules on how to use Sysmac Studio on the Omron website. www.onron247.com

Thank you. It's working now. I got confused by the 'unit' version on the side of the NJ (which says version 1.0). I didnt' realize it meant software version. I created a version 1.05 'project' and now I can upload the program.

Thanks. I found the RS and SR functions in the instruction reference manual. This manual is 990 pages! I am glad they don't print these anymore. I looked at the eLearning modules from the Omron website. They were generally very informative. I also got a demo NJ unit from our distributor to work on so this helps. I am also trying to read up on 'tasks' and priorities.

There is a quick start guide (manual W514) which should also be in the directory of manuals under the Sysmac Studio install directory. As a correction, that version you pick when you create a project has NOTHING to do with the software version. It is the FIRMWARE version of the CPU to be programmed. It should always be the same (or lower) than the actual CPU firmware. They are always backward compatible, so you can send a version 1.00 program to a 1.05 CPU. But the firmware version you select when you create the project limits the software to match the capabilities of your hardware. You can change versions in a project as well if you upgrade to a newer CPU.

Thanks. I am looking at the quick start guide now. This helps a lot. Now I am trying to figure out 'tasks / priorities'. This is new to me as well.

I have two questions about saving 'Projects'. Does Sysmac Studio allow you to save multiple projects with the same name? Also where are the project files saved to? I don't see anywhere that you can set the save path. I see an 'export' function and for this you can specify where to export the project to. This still doesn't show where the project files are saved by default.

Yes, you can save the multiple projects with the same name. The projects are encrypted and stored here by default: C:\OMRON\Data\Solution. However, I would not worry about that if I were you. If you just change up your terminology and treat Import and Export as you would have used Open and Save in the past, you will be just fine. This seems to be throwing a lot of people off.

Now mind you, you don't need to do as I suggested above. If you can change how you think about how files are handled by the software, you can only use Import or Export when you specifically want to save a file off in a specific location (for saving daily or weekly work, or for emailing it to someone as examples) and just let it save the files in the encrypted folder paying special attention to the names that you give them.
1 person likes this

Sorting variables in a friendly natural way will come very soon.
1 person likes this

The Variable Manager window which can be opened from the View menu has supported sorting of variables for a while. But it does NOT change the order of the variables in the main global variables list.

Sysmac Studio 1.08 is availiable now. You can sort and filter variables in a natural way.

Quite a few nice changes in this version. Some screens which were not fit well on low resolution laptops (or projectors) seem to have been resized. And as you said the label sorting. Also there is an Online button on the opening screen to quickly connect to a CPU without creating a project first.

Recently upgraded to V1.08 (Module V1.0.8.29). Happy to see the variable lists can now be sorted, although I cannot add any variables when it has been sorted. You have to close the window and reopen it which took me a while to figure out. Also, previous versions ran quite slowly, but this one is REALLY SLOW. Scrolling through a large POU takes an age for it to catch up, especially when you are online.

Andy - right-click the column heading and you can clear the sorting from the context menu. Pp
1 person likes this

My results with 1.08 are it is much faster. Less delays switching screens, opening and closing projects, etc. You don't need to close the window just clear sorting or filtering. And you can now minimize the local variable window with the arrow in the upper right instead of constantly dragging to resize it.

@Pp Nice tip regarding the clear sorting option, thanks. @Crossbow Interesting that you are seeing faster results. I agree that opening / closing projects is quicker, but going online there is a dramatic slow-down. I wonder if there is something else at play on my machine, possibly comms related. Hmmm....