Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GVT

SYSMAC NJ

45 posts in this topic

Someone has experiments the new SYSMAC NJ on a real application ? with I/O on the ethercat bus, GX series for exemple and hitachi drives on ethercat too i'd like reading your comments if someone has try it thx

Hello All the settings are made in Sysmac Studio. The EtherCAT network is just 'drag and drop'. Very easy, very fast. Pp

How many people are actually using (or switching) to the NJ controller? There is going to be a lot of resistance at our plant because we will need to learn new software (Sysmac Studio).

I've just begun my first project with the NJ and Sysmac Studio. You should really explore the online training options offered by Omron. They provide a great starting point for learning your way around the software. Since it's all IEC and tag based programming it's a bit of a shift for people used to the C Series and CX Programmer. But it's a step in the right direction, as this is the way the industry is heading. As was already mentioned, getting the EtherCAT network up and running is simple drag and drop. You can even build the network in advance and have the software just read the network configuration. It's also possible to leave the node swtiches set to 0 and assign them from within the software, which is something I have never seen on a network before, making it much easier for maintenance people to switch out devices.
1 person likes this

Matter of opinion - I hate tag based stuff and just use I/O numbers on the keyboard - much faster - finish job - on to next job - make more money. Can you program by I/O numbers with Sysmac Studio? I love CX-P because it is fast and easy.

NJ does not have I/O numbers. No more different memory areas for I/O, data registers, etc. But you can assign labels automatically for local and networked I/O points quickly in the table, and then auto-complete shows them when you add contacts, coils, functions, function blocks, etc. I've found label programming growing in popularity with implementations I have been working with.

Can you point me to the online training? I can't seem to find it on the omron247.com website. Are these only available in the US? Thanks.

Can you do online edits with Sysmac Studio?

Yes, you can. You can even online edit your symbols. You need to online edit in the symbol table first to add a symbol, then you can go into the logic and do another online edit to use the freshly added symbol.

Start here: http://industrial.omron.us/en/services_and_support/training/elearning/default.html

I'm finding the Sysmac Studio software to be a little slow, especially after a long period of use as it seems to get bogged down. I guess further upgrades will start to address this and other issues though. Using tags has taken a little getting used to, but on the whole I'm getting on OK with it. Certainly is a different way of thinking with regard to PLC programming. I didn't know you could set all the Ethercat node address switches to 0 and have them assigned via software. Nice!

It looks like the NJ uses IEC61131-3 standard for programming. I recall this is what Beckhoff uses as well. Is this going to be the standard moving forward for programming PLC's?

IEC 61131-3 is a global standard, and almost all manufacturers are going that way.

Not happy Jan! To me it is awful.

Does the NJ also do structures? And, do we assume that it automatically assigns the tags/structure to memory like Rockwell does?

Yes it does structures and arrays, as well as enumerations. And yes, it does automatically allocate memory, no more need of old fashioned PLC memory areas.

How does automatically allocated memory work with the BCNT instruction - or have they done away with it? One of the most useful functions in the PLCs.

Yes, there's a bit count instruction. Upto LWORD is accepted as the source. For long arrays, you'd need multiple instructions and add up the results as you go. Or write your own, of course. Pp

Will have a look when I get time - too busy now. Just a bit puzzled as to how it would work without I/O numbers. I use it regularly now for alarm routines - extraordinarily useful and saves heaps of time.

Something I am finding annoying is the inability to sort the Global Variable table (or the Internal/External variable tables in a POU for that matter) by clicking on the column headings. Hopefully that will come in a later version. I am using V1.05.31. Edited by Andy_P

1.06 is the latest, but certain label lists still cannot be sorted that way. Look at the Variable Manager window, it can be sorted.

Apparently there is an issue with installing Sysmac Studio on a computer that already has CX-One version 4. Omron has a tech note on it: http://echannel.omro...s_en_201202.pdf Basically: "Functionally speaking, Sysmac Studio V1.01 and higher are fully compatible with CX-One V4.22 and higher. However, due to issues with the November 2011 free Online AutoUpdates, when installing Sysmac Studio and CX-One on the same computer, some functions of CX-One may not work depending on the order of installation." I heard about this from our distributor and had to look it up. Edited by kku

From within that document you referenced: This issue is being addressed and will be resolved in the next release of Sysmac Studio V1.02. Current version is 1.06 so this is no longer applicable.

I didn't see that. Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't know the current version is 1.06. I still have a copy of version 1.00. Time to get an update. Edited by kku

Be sure to register it,m then it can auto-update.