Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jinto

Factorytalk View ME - Not a valid Archive File

5 posts in this topic

Hi, Has anybody had a similar problem to this? I have worked a fair bit on factory talk view ME but have not had this problem before. I modified a project in ME version 6.10 using my laptop and made an archive. Somebody else then contacted me to say that they were unable to open the archive because of the “invalid file” error. So I attempted to open the archive on my desktop and got the same error message. I then tried to open the file on my original laptop and it worked fine. I made another backup of another project and got the same results, the archive files will only open on my laptop. Both my desktop and laptop are running the same version of Studio ME installed from the same SI toolkit drive. Both are V6.10.00 (CPR9 SR4) build 09. Any ideas?

This is one of the "minor" issues of FTVS... ...I've experienced it when sending .apa files to different users or PCs running identical revision and release software...Sometimes a "clean" re-install will do it, however, one could do this only so many times... Create a .mer on the functional machine and then " Restore Runtime Application" within the machine that doesn't want to cooperate...I have yet to fail with this approach...

Ok thanks, I had already done that to get around it initially. I have since contacted Rockwell support and found out that’s it’s a known issue solved by installing the latest patch roll up for FactoryTalk. However having now installed the patches I guess my .apa files are not going to open on anybody elses PCs without them having the patch too!

Quite honestly I'm trying to figure out the benefit of saving the project to an apa file with PVP versions 5.0 and later. Either method of restoration means you'll have to redo the security. I've made it a habit to get the latest version straight from the panel before making changes.

Hi there, Just wanted to let you know I installed the roll up patch found in Rockwell tech article 466418 and it solved this problem for me. Before the patch install for FTView, the APA would not restore. After the patch install it did. But, yes, security does not seem to follow the APA file. See this link... http://compatibility.rockwellautomation.com/Pages/MultiProductDownload.aspx?keyword=Patch