Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RockwellSA

RSLogix 5000 very slow

12 posts in this topic

Good day, I would like to know if anyone else experiences the problem where if you go online with Rs Logix 5000, v17 or v19, it is delay/slow to move around program. I have tried some of the suggested tricks found on this site, like making sure the Rockwell service is running and also adding CHECKDRIVES to environment variables in my computer. It just baffles me, i have a 1756-L72 processor with RS Logix 5000 v19, and when you try scroll or move around program whilst online, its delayed. Anything i can try? Thanks guys

Not much you could do about it...It's a pretty annoying "feature" that comes with RSL5K Rev.19... Try "minimizing" the Online Hardware Tree and do not "expand" any modules unless needed. Edited by dmargineau

It is so annoying, im using ver 17 at another plant and it is the same, but from v16 and before, no hassles at all

Hi, I had a similar problem with a L32E processor. My ethernet comms was very slow when I was online. Any online work would take forever as I had to wait for RSLogix 5000 to update or realise that I had made a change. I then noticed that my panel view was slow to react when I pressed any buttons on it. Comms between plc and hmi was slow also. I eventually replaced the cpu and all is ok since. I had checked etherent cabling, hub etc.

Have you recently changed from using the EVRSI activation to use Factory Talk Activation?

No i have been using the factory talk activation for a while.

I don't know if the checkdrives system variable still applies with Factory Talk Activation Manager. With version 3.4 I think, there are improvements to the user interface. I think 3.5 is out now. I have had no problems having a newer server with older clients during the process of updating multiple machines' FTA version. I recommend running the latest FTA manager. In the client settings, you can specify the order in which license servers are searched. If you are hosting your own license (node locked or concurrent but all on one machine), make sure the path to the local license is the first one in the list. In most all cases, I think the local path should be first...you don't want to always look for a network resource, for example, that might only be present half of the time. Also, make liberal use of the refresh buttons and even the refresh server buttons after adding licenses. This might just be a graphical way of setting the checkdrives variable, but I think you want to do it within Factory Talk Activation Manager. If you have trouble, you can make sure it is the only path listed. We use a separate PC as a license server and still have a few node locked, so there are two paths on most of our machines. I am not sure if licensing is related to the sluggishness, I have not seen this issue except for perhaps five minutes or so after adding a licence or making changes to a client. I run versions 16 through 19 and the concurrent license is on a server PC on our local network. My counterpart blew up his PC and had to migrate to a new 64bit box last week. After getting it all set up, his license kept going to grace period The license was freely available showing up in the list on all our machines but his would not go get it. Finally he figured out he had to go in and edit the license number he'd entered during installation of RSLogix5000 to match the one in the server list..the number he had entered was the actual license from the old machine and had worked before...his old machine was the one that had the evrsi license, but we had made it concurrent and upgraded it..perhaps some leftover tidbit of the evrsi license scheme was still working on his old box? And even then after all was refreshed and available, license numbers matching, it was a solid five minutes of head scratching before the thing finally just started working and the delays went away. Edited by OkiePC

I am having a similar problem, i have my license on my laptop, i have a desktop on the same network. I go into the license manager, i can see the activation available on my laptop, and my server is setup as my laptop, but if i open rslogix 5000, it just keeps saying software expired and i need to activate, with masterdisk or factory talk activation, but it just wont see the license on my laptop. Normally as long as i had my laptop connected to the network them the desktop would automatically take a license and as soon as i removed my laptop, the desktop would run in grace, which is fine but now its just not even going into grace mode.

Just a note... There are several tech notes on the AB Knowledgebase that address this very issue. ALso, make sure all your FactoryTalk services are set correctly.

This brings to mind the infamous Dilbert Strip about why is my computer slow?

Wow...this thread is from 2013....well, I'll just add my experience anyway, maybe it will help someone. RSLogix 5000 v20 recently started running REALLY slow when online. You could see the gear cog animated GIF frozen over HALF the time. It gets worse...any time I would try to scroll down in the left pane window to access IO or AOI it would remain in a state of refreshing the contents of the pane for an excruciatingly long period of time. It was not always like this. We switched to v20, and for a couple months the programming laptop worked GREAT. We have been working on a very precision piece of automation machinery for over a year now. When we add or remove a piece of hardware we need to change the code. We started with v14, then went to 16 for PROFIBUS support. At some point in time we were using version 18, and now we are at 20. We have been using v20 for a few months. When we made the change to v20 we also switched from XP to Windows 7 for our primary PLC machine. Everything worked fine...for a while. Then just a couple weeks ago the program started running REALLY slowly when online and in RUN mode. The program runs just FINE when in PROG mode and online... We also made another Windows 7 laptop thinking the computer itself may be the culprit. A fresh install of RSLogix 5000 on a fresh, fully updated Windows 7 OS suffered the same circumstances. We bypassed the router and plugged directly into one of the ports on the EthernetIP module in the PLC cabinet and no change. When I made a new program with nothing but configured 1768/1769 bus and one very small program I was able to run RSLogix in RUN mode while online with no issues. I will try and update this thread when I find out if it is a bad PLC, overburdened PLC, conflict of IP/networking issue, computer hardware issue or corrupted program issue. My next plan of action is to slowly export the necessary pieces of code from the old program to this new "lightweight" version so we can see at what point the issues persist. Both laptops are Windows 7 64u. One laptop is Celeron 900, the other is Core i5. Both have over 2GB RAM. Using AB CompactLogix L45 processor

Is this perhaps a Dell computer? Maybe running Windows 8? My PC was so bad that it took forever to even navigate within a project.

Try Tech note 635965 RE: Dell SpeedStep Technology (EIST). Disabling this in BIOS helped my PC. On a Dell, hold down the F12 key while booting. SpeedStep was listed at the top under "Advanced" in mine.