Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mac

Changing IP Address On Existing System

7 posts in this topic

Hi. We have a system made up of a PowerFlex 70 , a Panelview Plus 1000 and a 1768-L43 Compactlogix Plc. IT would like to have this machine monitored on our local ethernet and this would require changing the IP address' on all 3 components. I don't believe it is as simple as just changing them individually.... IE: the panelview tag search locations? I know how to change them but I'm worried about the communications between the PLC and the Panelview after I do. This is going to be done during production as we need this unit running 24/7. ( Of Course) Any help would be great. Thanks

You will need t o change the IP on the PV+ at the terminal itself. I believe you might be able to edit the shortcuts to devices (PLC IP address) from the screen too, but if not, you will need to do so in Factory Talk Studio and make a new runtime file for that PV+ (be sure to make the new file for the correct firmware running on the PV+). I think you can change the Compactlogix on the fly, not sure if any of your devices require power cycle after changing ... I don't think so, but it wouldn't hurt to make sure the changes are all properly saved and that lost connections to the old IP addresses are flushed out of buffers. MAKE sure that your IT department understands Ethernet IP I/O traffic and what it WILL do to an office network if not properly connected to the business LAN. The use of a managed switch between the two systems with IGMP snooping enabled and a querier working is highly recommended if not required. Edited by OkiePC

Thanks for the quick reply. So what I'm thinking is to change the PLC first.. then the Panelview IP and then with FT Studio go into the communications (with RSlinx)and change the Design Local settings to the new PLC IP address and copy it to the runtime settings and download that back into the panelview. Oh yeah and then change the PF70 IP also. Sound right?

When you change the IP on the VFD in RSLogix 5000 or on the VFD itself, you will have a short downtime until you get the two linked again since the VFD will fault. This all depends on how the PF70 is designed to run in your application. I haven't been able to change any IP's to a VFD without throwing a fault. I would love to know if there is a way to get around this though.

This can't be done "on the fly", obviously. But it can be done quickly. For the PowerFlex 70, the easiest thing to do is to use the HIM module on the front to connect to the 20-COMM-E and set the new IP address there. Cycle the power to the drive, or just perform a reset of the 20-COMM-E to make the new address take effect. For the PanelView Plus, the IP address of the terminal itself is part of the Windows CE operating system, rather than part of the FactoryTalk View application. You set this address using the Configuration screen of the PV+ terminal. Start at the main menu, then select Terminal Settings -> Networks and Communications -> Network Adapters (I'm going from memory, here). You must cycle power or perform a "Reset" of the terminal for the new IP address to take effect. The PanelView Plus uses RSLinx Enterprise onboard to communicate with the controller, and the IP address of the controller is part of the RSLinx Enterprise "Shortcut". If you change the address associated with that Shortcut, all of the references to that PLC in the application will get pointed to the new address. This is most easily done using FactoryTalk View Studio and the RSLinx Enterprise Runtime (Target) communication tab, but can also be done onboard the terminal. Terminal Settings -> Networks and Communications -> RSLinx Enterprise Communication. Select the controller's Ethernet interface under the Ethernet driver, and select "Edit Device" to change the IP address for that Shortcut. The IP configuration for the CompactLogix is stored in the 1768-ENBT module's onboard flash memory. It is not part of the CompactLogix user program. It works just like all other ControlLogix family Ethernet modules; the easiest way to modify its IP address is by using RSLinx Classic, browsing to the module, and selecting "Module Configuration". I don't recall if the module (and therefore the controller) needs to cycle power before it can use that IP address, but it is likely. You will have to change the IP address of the PowerFlex object in the ControlLogix user program using RSLogix 5000. That's really the only thing that can't be done with your fingertips or a free tool. The good news is that all three of the devices you are working on have a configuration mode or an onboard display that will show you their IP address.

Thanks guys. Great info. I think I will go with the FT View approach for the Panelview. That way I'll have a good copy of it on my PC for future changes.

If you ahven't already attempted your IP change by the time you read this please allow me to add a STEP 0 to your whole process. Backup the existing hardware in working but not producing state. By this I mean Go Online with CompactLogix and save a copy of the RSLogix 5000 Program. Use your FactoryTalkView and save a copy of the project. Use the HIM CopyCat or DriveExecutive to snag a backup of how the PF70 is programmed. Backup, Change, Test, Wait, BackupNew. Has always been my mantra.