Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Turkey Slayer

Installing Panelbuilder 1400e on Virtual Machine (XP Mode) - Having an issue

7 posts in this topic

Just started a new job and and currently installing all the software I can from our toolkit. I'm trying to install Panelbuilder 1400e right now. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and the setup executable refuses to even run even if I change the compatibility settings on the properties tab. So I installed XP Mode and Virtual Machine from Microsoft. I run the Setup32.exe program from the 95NT folder as well as the one from the 95_v3 folder in the virtual machine and I get the same issue with both. The executable runs, I put in my licensing information, and I get an error message without any text. Here is a link to the screenshot: http://imgur.com/INB8zE7 I'm going to move on and continue installing software, but I'd like to know if I'm on the right track or if I need to do something different. Thanks

I am running PanelBuilder 1400e on a XPSP3 VMWare Workstation virtual machine hosted on a Win7 64-bit PC; I believe it is the only supported OS environment. I'd try the free VMware Player and a XPSP3 license instead of the Win7 "XP Mode". Edited by dmargineau

Windows 7 virtual environments are very poor in quality. You will have success using either VMWare Player (free but not very robust) or Sun (now Oracle) VirtualBox (free OpenSource). I prefer VirtualBox - http://www.virtualbox.org

Really??!! Win7 hosted VMs are very poor in quality??!!...I'd get another cup of coffee and revisit this statement... Either me and countless others are extremely lucky or this is just a typo...I have personally configured more than a hundred VMware Workstation VMs on Win7 hosts...There wasn't one hitch and they all are fully functional...I heve SEVEN of them on my own middle tier Win7 laptop...The only perfect functionality pre-requisites are 64-bit OS and at least 8GB of RAM...Oh, and open-mindedness....

I could be wrong, but I believe he's referring to the built-in "XP Mode" environment that comes with Win7 Pro. I have heard very mixed (meaning "bad") reviews of that. It seems to work on simple stuff but not on more complex stuff like automation software.

That is correct. Running VMWare or VirtualBox on Win7 is fine - both of those environments are solid virtual machines. However the 'built-in' Windows "XP Mode" or "Windows Virtual Machine" environment are beyond poor.

Sorry to bring up a dead thread - but I was just searching for this issue - "error with no text - panelbuilder 1400e install" and I was able to resolve this by reading the README and using the serial number found in the txt file.