Jay Anthony

CX Programmer Data Types

13 posts in this topic

From a previous post: There is a lot of confusion out there about data types in CX Programmer and other IEC-based programming softwares. Data types are a convenience for the programmer. When you define a word of a memory in CX Programmer as a certain data type, you are asking CX Programmer to translate the hex value of the word in the PLC into the data type specified so that it can be displayed as a meaningful number to you, the programmer. If you enter a value into a data type from CX programmer. it will convert the data according to the data type and place the hex equivalent in the PLC word. Jay's Omron Tips #49: I will entertain any questions or discussions.

In my experience, I have had a lot of trouble explaining the definition of BCD to non-PLC or little-PLC literate people. The question always arises - "Is it binary or is it decimal then?" To which I have to answer - "Neither, it is still hex. But a form of hex." This unsurprisingly just causes more questions. Oh, the joys of number formats! Andy.

sure all that isn't very clear for me... For example i am now trying to use TIML in CX programemr (with a CJ seriesPLC) It seems it needs Parameter in BCD format but i have a number o second calculate with * and + or +L *L and that is store in a UINT how can i do? what is BCD for the plc? i try the function BCDL but as i don't really know what i am waiting for i don't know why it doesnt work could you try to explain me difference between data type in Cx programmer??

See above. Change the UINT to CHANNEL.

Instead of TIML (wich requires BCD and is a throw back to legacy PLC models where all timer and counter SV needs to be in BCD) use the newer form of Timer and counter instructions TIMLX .... To use these timere and counters the PLC properties need to be set to anble you to use them .. see a precvioius post that shows you how....

LOL this is the thing that is hardest to explain to anyone .... that is y I stick with channel as a default it saves confusion ...... :*-(

Off the record: I only program with Channel and Bool, because it shows me exactly the literal value of the register in the PLC. Therefore, no confusion. Data Types are not an Omron invention. It is an IEC-61131 standard which users have forced on manufacturers (primarily from the soft-PLC users.) I am just thankful that Omron decided to retain the Channel and Bit types as they are not IEC standards. BTW: Watch out for CXP 5.0: The data type debacle gets larger!

I agree, using 'Channel' and 'Bool' types does save confusion. Even when I do use specific data types, quite often I click the 'Display everything as Hex' button when monitoring the program. As for CXP 5.0 adding more data types - how many more can there possibly be?! Andy.

Didn't mean more data types. Function Block programming demands specific data types.

ahhh this CX5 .. ok disregard post in other thread. hmmm my usual source must be holding out on me...... oh well time to get the thumb screws out ......again..

hi every one i  i will use omron plc cj1m and all onron plc   but i need to know example DM3000 & DM2500  this each data memory have 16 bit how know bit-0, bit-1,bit-2,bit-3...........bit-16 what is tha address and this bit all how will work can any one tel me 

Make your own post, don't reply to somthing totally different from 13 years ago.

Have you considered writing D3000.0?

Address, dot, bit number.

This is in the programming manuals.

I do not believe that is possible in the CJ1M. It is possible in the CJ2 processors.

You'll have to MOV the DM value to CIO memory or H memory if you would like it to be retentive. Then you'll be able to access the bit level.