Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RobertL

How to adjust temperature from a Versaview 1000

9 posts in this topic

Hi everybody, I have just received a piece of equipment, it came with a Micrologix 1400 and a Versaview 1000 terminal. My problem is I can't adjust the temperature, the actual setting is from 0 to 100 degrees F but I need to increase the setting to at least 150 F. Can this be done from the Versaview terminal, or it needs to be done from the controller? I have already tried from the Versaview with no success. Is there a way to do it from the terminal without having to modify the program? Thanks in advance.

Hi Robert, welcome to the Forum. MicroLogix controllers and Versaview touchscreen terminals are used in tens of thousands of different applications and have very flexible programming languages, so the adjustability or limits of the temperature for your machine are entirely up to the person who programmed it. The limit might be in the Numeric Entry object in the VersaView application (probably RSView Machine Edition software) or it might be enforced in the MicroLogix program code. Both of these devices use specialized development and editing software: system integrators and OEMs base their whole livelihoods on their abilities with those tools, so they're not necessarily something for a casual user to attempt. The software cost is substantial, too. An System Integrator with Allen-Bradley tools and skills might be able to help you modify this machine if the OEM can't do it, but you're almost certainly not going to be able to do it yourself without training or tools. Good Luck !

If the equipment is new, then you should contact the OEM to make the change for you. If it is used, still start by contacting the OEM for support. Most good OEMs will be willing to service or repair their legacy equipment, though you will have to pay them. If you run out of luck with the OEM, then you'll have to find a system integrator. This forum is home to a number of us.

Thank you guys for you help. Today I tried to communicate with the controller, Micrologix 1400, Cat 1766-L32BWA, but I got the following message "Unable to verify srttings due to pocket time out, check all cables and configuration and try again." I'm using an AB 1763-NCO1 with a serial converter, RSLinx lite version 2.43.01.23, Bud rate 19200, Parity None, Error checking BCC, Stop bits 1, Protocol Full Duplex, Device PLC-CHO. I tried several times with the same result. When I hit the Configuration button, the Bud rate jump from 19200 to 115200. I wonder if my RSLinx version is too old, or if I need a RSLinx classic. I need to upload the progam and try to modify the Temperature paramters. Can anyone tell me how to communicate with this controller, please? I have worked with M1000, M1200, M1500, and SLC500, but never M1400. I tried to contact the manufacturer several times but no answer. They are located in Bombay, India. Thank en advance.

I use several Micrologix 1400 in my facility. Nearly everyone one of them are communicating with a panelview. Does the Versaview communicate with the controller through Ethernet? If so you should be able to communicate with it that way if you know the IP address as you would a SLC. I do know that if you are running an older version of Software you will have to download the eds file for a Micrologix 1400 from Rockwell, because I had to

The most common way to communicate with the MicroLogix 1400 serially is using RS-232 with an A-B cable (1761-CBL-PM02) to the Channel 0 round serial port, or an ordinary null-modem serial cable to the Channel 2 DB9 serial port. I'm not sure how you're using the 1763-NC01 adapter; that's essentially a wiring terminal for the RS-485 pins on Channel 0, which is usually used with DH-485 or Modbus RTU protocols. "serial converters" compound the problem; many RS-232/USB converters won't support the "autoconfig" feature and some don't work with PLCs well at all. The Keyspan/TrippLite USA-19HS is the most commonly recommended model of USB/RS232 converter on this site; my team has a few of them. I agree the Ethernet is the most common way to communicate with the MicroLogix 1400; you should be able to read the IP address using the LCD and keypad on the front. And lastly, RSLinx 2.43 is nearly a decade old, now. The RSLinx you know and love took on the name "Classic" somewhere around version 2.55... it's the same software, just re-named to distinguish it from the FactoryTalk data server called "RSLinx Enterprise". RSLinx Classic version 2.54 or later is necessary to communicate with any revision of the MicroLogix 1400 controller. You can get version 2.54 at no charge from the Allen-Bradley MicroLogix website; to get newer software (version 2.59 and the leap to version 3.51 are currently shipping) you need to get it bundled or have a TechConnect contract. http://www.ab.com/linked/programmablecontrol/plc/micrologix/downloads.html

Thank you Guys. Since it's going to take a little while to get the OEM modify this machine, OEM is located in India, I would like to override the input from the VersaView to the ML1400, in order to be able to adjust the temperatura manually from the temperature controller and run this machine. There are three temperature controllers and each one control a specific area of the machine. Any suggestion? Thank you Guys in advance.

If you have a copy of the program or can get one, it may save time. Comments alone may take you right to it, depending on how complex the machine and its program. Alternately: Go online: Whether that means making a new file or connecting the logic and data files with something close. Save As. Give it a new name and start commenting if necessary, repeatedly save from here on out. Open some of the data tables that might be numbers from the touchscreen. Make sure you are online ... How fast is that RSLinx icon spinning, what does it say in the upper left? Are the "power rails" bright green?... Set the number to something uncommon, like 99.9 or 97 or something, and then look through all the data tables for that value. When you have located the HMI write address, Modify it from RSLogix and see if it changes on the screen. It is common for the value written by a data entry box to be a different address than the one displayed. It is also possible that they are unique but will be made equal by existing logic, which would indicate that the data entry limit is programmed in the Versaview and will be lefta alone as long as no one goes to the versaview and tries to adjust it after you "manually set" the number with RSLogix. If the screen doesn't reflect the value that you enter when you change it from RSLogix, more research must be done. In either case, set it to 110 and see if it "stays" and causes the process temperature to rise .. if so, you are done, if not, you have more research to do. Once you have nailed down the address written by this adjustment on the screen, find its usage in the program (right click, Find All). You may have to chase it through COPy (block move) operations or brute force mapping to find what goes from there... With RSLogix5 and 500 (not 5000), right clicking on an address and selecting "Find All" will list the results in a window that you can click inside to jump through all usages, you can use the arrow keys to scroll through them, in the results window while the ladder view jumps to that usage in the program. I have found RSLogix5/500 "Find" to be 100% reliable knowing how to Find indirect addressing notwithstanding* *Sidenote: Indirect addressing If you want to know if the program is using indirection RSLogix has no means to predict or limit the of the reference in order to flag them in the usage view of the data table window. But again, you can hit "CTRL+F" (find...) and search for "[" and click Find all to get a list of all indirect addressing. Edited by OkiePC