Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
j.cruz

RSLogic

4 posts in this topic

Hello gentlemen. Im new to the PLC world. We have RSlogic 500 installed in out old PC running windows XP We have decided to upgrade Can someone point me in the right direction for a Laptop that will be compatible with the allen bradley software We will be buying bith 500 and 5000 Cause the old info from 500 it's and PC screen goes out before we can get the info from the laptop. I hopew this is not too much im asking for. Then i can figure out what cables or cards we will need to communicate

There are other threads discussing laptop choice. As for the RSLogix 500, be aware that you can recover the license if the PC is dead. AB's support site can help you out with that. You may also contact your local distributor for assistance (you'll need to if you want to buy the software anyway).

Thank you .. i did a search for laptops but most i got where from back 2007 and 2009

OK, as for computer hardware, I haven't encountered anything that RSLogix 500/5000 talks to that I needed a native COM port. Allen Bradley's USB adapters 1747-UIC and 1747-U2DHP work for DH-485 (I think 9600 baud only) and DH+, respectively. I have also tinkered with an "aftermarket" version of the 1747-UIC from INDUSTRIAL CONCEPTS that doesn't have the baud rate limitations that AB's cable has, though I haven't tested it extensively. Keyspan's USA-19HS (available from Amazon) works for serial communications with the newer equipment. I think OS compatibility will be your biggest complication. If you need a software package that won't work under Win7, try VMWare Player to create a Virtual Machine using one of your XP licenses. To check OS compatibility, go here: MULTI-PRODUCT COMPARE. In the first 2 combo boxes, select "Software", type in "RSLogix" into the 3rd combo box and click "Go". Then, click on RSLogix 500, then select the version you have. Do the same for RSLogix 5000. It should then give you a compatibility matrix showing which version works with which OS. Don't take this as absolute gospel, since some folks have had good luck running older software on Win7 even though it's not "officially" supported. Your biggest compatibility problem will probably come if you get a 64-bit OS and have to run any earlier versions of RSLogix/RSLinx. You're probably going to be forced into WIn7 (at least) if you buy a new laptop, and XP is losing support updates this year, so I would recommend 64-bit Win7 with LOTS of RAM so you can run 32-bit XP inside VMWare easily.
1 person likes this