jack

the problem about replacing stegmann encoder inside AB servo motor

6 posts in this topic

Hello everybody; I am happy to come here , Happy 2013! There are many AB servo motors used in our company 's product lines. but Recently one of AB servo motors runs not very well. we found that Maybe there is some problems about stegmann Hiperface encoder(its type :SRS50-HFAO-K21, order no.: 1037067) inside servo motor. we have bought a new stegmann encoder (its type is SRS50-HFAO-K21, order no.: 1037067) and prepare to replace it with the new one. but later we found that Kinetix 6000 driver always flashed "E30" fault after we mount the new encoder inside the servo motor (MPM-B2153F-S) , I don't know why would cause this fault ? because the encoder which we replaced is the same with the original one inside the servo motor. Is there anyone know how to solve this problem? Thhanks in advance! in addition , I know this stegmann encoder can be programmed or configurated by sick software . Are the configuration parameters between the new one and the old one the different? if so , Can we configure this encoder parameters again with using AB encoder cable by ourself ? Thanks Jack

Sorry to inform that I think you are out of luck If you are lucky you may get the encoder to talk to the drive - Check that the connections are all correct - Even if you do then I think that there is more! The Hiperface encoder is an absolute encoder that contains motor information that is read by the Kinetics 6000 Drive Included in this information is the Motor nameplate information and the Angle that the encoder is mounted at relative to the motor winding's. When the Drive Powers up the information is read and verified - in your case the information cannot be read hence the E30 error A servo motor repair shop may be able to assist I have had a servo motor that had the wrong information in the encoder and was unable to develop torque as the angle information was incorrect. That motor went back to Rockwell for repair.

The encoder must be set by the manufacturer or authorized repair center in order to properly commutate the motor. as MichaelG stated, you might get lucky, but that is not usually the case with replacement of the motor's encoder.

I have successfully changed the stegmann encoders in AB motors before. All I had to do was go through the startup (AutoTune) procedure and the change went fine. However I was using a 700s Phase I drive for control not the Kinetix. I would assume it will work the same way just go through the startup procedure.

Sir can I ask, what would be the best Stegmann Hyperface encoder to use? please help. I am not familiar with this kind of stuff, tnx in advance

I have the same problem with original encoder.  I removed encoder to change the bearing in the back of the motor and now i get the E30 fault.  Anyone or Jack figure this out?  I can read encoder counts with Ultraware but the drive is faulted.