Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Grinchster

Major fault with SLC-5/04

9 posts in this topic

Let me start by saying that I am sort of new to AB. I was asked to add a memory modules to some SLC-5/04 (1747-L541). I purchased two M13 modules just to test. The firmware version I am running is OS401 C 8, (which should be ok according to to AB publication 1747-IN010C-MU-P). My problem is every time the power is cycled, I get a a major fault. (S:1/13) The error reads, " Module 1 - A module required for the user program is detected as missing or removed." There is no module missing and the program loads from the memory card ok. At this point, I can just turn the key switch on the processor and the fault will clear. It will be a major hassle to have to turn the key to clear the fault, because the machine my boss wants these on has about 22 of these processors. If every time the power is turned off, someone has to turn the key switch on all these processors, people are going to be highly upset with me. I have been searching different forums on the net, and have tried many things but can not stop this from happening. Has anyone experienced this kind of issue before? Is there a problem with the type of memory module? Is there some bit or parameter that I am missing? Any help or guidance will be GREATLY appreciated. I am pulling out what little hair I have left. Thanks in advance!

An SLC-500 controller will fault if any of the I/O modules configured in the program are missing. If you use a "test chassis" to load your program from EEPROM, you're going to get that fault no matter what as soon as you try to go to RUN mode. I think you'll find that if you move the controller with the EEPROM installed to the appropriate I/O chassis, that it will boot up and go into RUN mode without generating a fault.

Thanks for the reply I am using a test chassis, but it has multiple I/O modules in it. No slots are empty. The program I was testing with has only 2 rungs in it. I was just turning on an output to verify the program was actually loading from the eeprom, which it is. Any other suggestions?

Let me also clairfy that the module in slot 1 is an Input module. There is nothing in the "Test" program associated to it. If I remove the memory eeprom from the processor, it does not fault when I cycle power. I have also tried swapping that Input module with one further down the chassis. Each time I get the same error when power is cycled. Again, any and all help is appreciated.

The controller can tell what size I/O chassis it's installed in, as well as the type of I/O modules that are installed. It's not enough to have modules in the chassis; they have to be the exact ones that are configured in the program. Because you're using a "test program" with no I/O modules defined, the fault is being caused either by an incorrect I/O chassis size setting, or by the presence of the modules that are not defined in the program. SLC-500 controllers are very protective of their I/O integrity and won't run if even one module is not the same as configured; they consider the absence of a correct module to be an "out of control" situation. For your testing purposes, you could Disable the I/O Slots (this is in the Status file in RSLogix 500, if I recall correctly) and set the test program for the correct chassis size.

For your processor testing purposes, I would use the I/O auto-configuration function, which reads the I/O the processor sees, and puts it into the I/O configuration of the project. Then you can download this project to the SLC in your test chassis with no worries. So long as the processor "sees" the same I/O that the test project file is configured for, all will be well. Once that is sorted, I'm not sure that your "test" does anything to confirm the presence of the additional memory, it just tests that the program loads from EEPROM and runs. I'm pretty certain there's a S-File location that tells you the installed memory size, but can't remember exactly where it is. Your test program could inspect that to turn the output on if it can "see" the boosted memory size.

Forum , Kindly help, I have this fault on my SLC 500 PLC, I have cleared it severally, it kept coming back Please i need help Module 10 which is required for the user program is detected as missing or removed.

You might try reseating it. Power down and remove the module and reinstall it.

note that this won't "fix" your problem but it MIGHT keep the processor from faulting long enough for you to work out a permanent fix ... IN GENERAL TERMS - the SLC systems will go into a "fault" condition if the modules which are actually installed into the chassis don't exactly match the modules shown in the IO Configuration list (left side of the screen near the top) ... BUT ... you can often tell the processor to "ignore" any differences between the actual modules and the list by following the method shown below ... http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=43978&postcount=3 once you've "disabled" the bad module you can USUALLY get the rest of the system to run without a fault ... if reseating the module several times won't get you going, then you might have a defective module ...