Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Conor

TCP/IP Connection to L35E

8 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I have an L35E on my network. I need to connect to a Weighing system. Below is an excerpt from the FDS TCP/IP connection The remote host can connect to the weighing terminal using TCP/IP socket port. The host connects as a TCP client using the terminal IP address and the terminal port “1234”. I was wondering if someone could help me out with this please. I have not used this type of connection before. Thanks, Conor

The 1769-L35E does not support the generic "TCP Sockets" function on its Ethernet port. Other controllers and modules do, like the 1756-EWEB or the newer "5370" series of CompactLogix controllers. For the 1768-L35E, you're going to need some sort of gateway (like this easy-to-use RTA unit) or add-on module like the Prosoft generic Ethernet module (MVI69-GEC).

Thanks Ken. I think that I will try and get one of the Prosoft modules for my L35E

WOW the The RTA unit is going into my bag of tricks, thanks Uncle Ken.

Hi guys, I got the Prosoft MVI69-GEC, set it up and am reading ASCII from the Weigh Bridge system. My problem now is that the data comes into the PLC as ASCII into the Tags that I copied from the Sample Logix in the Prosoft. How do I get convert that ASCII into readable data? Thanks, Conor

Look into the ASCII instructions: STOD (String to DINT) STOR (String to Real) And there are many more available to help you manipulate the strings. Edited by OkiePC

Hi again, I have tried out a few of these instructions but I am not getting the outcome that I expect. I have attached a screendump from the code. The data is being read by the PLC, but each Sint has '' around the values. i.e. GEC.Clients[0].ReadData[14] is 'A' My question is how do I read the whole message from the unit in to a format without the '' As far as I can see from the message the end of message comes in on GEC.Clients[0].ReadData[68]. This contains '$7F'. I take it that this is the end of message. I would be very grateful with any help you guys may be able to give me on this Thanks, Conor gec_ascii.bmp

Your readout is directing the value to be shown as an ASCII value, not as a numeric value. The '' just emphasize the method of display, they aren't a part of the value. To view the SINTs as a string you will have to move them into a string and establish the length.