Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ePLC

Powerflex 70 MOD indication

6 posts in this topic

Hi all, I would would greatly appreciate your assistance with the following. Currently I have a powerflex 70 AC drive (Firmware ver. 2.003), connected to ControlLogix (L55), that is frequently tripping due to over heating. I suspected the heat sink fans are not operating so I have made some modifications and placed two small external fans above and below the drive for cooling purposes. Further on I interchanged the existing drive with a similar spare one, which is when I encountered a problem. The spare drive seems to be working normal but the MOD LED is constantly blinking green which indicates the drive is not transferring I/O data. Further on I also noticed the spare drive firmware version is 2.009 which is different from the existing drive firmware version. Can the firmware be causing this problem? If not can someone please direct me in troubleshooting this? I need to resolve this to have a peace of mind in case any problem occurs with the existing drive. Thanks

Welcome to the Forum! How are you Communicating with the PF70 from the ControlLogix? Is it DeviceNet, Ethernet, or some other method? Stu....

Thanks for your welcoming! It is communicating through DeviceNet.

That was what I figured, but I had to be sure. You will need RSNetworx for DeviceNet. Open the Scanner in RSNetworx, and find the I/O Mapping for the VFD you replaced. Write it down, and then remove the VFD from the Scan List. Apply the change, then reinsert the VFD into the Scan List, and put the I/O Mapping back in. If your RSNetworx doesn't have an EDS for the New VFD, you will have to get it from AB/RA and add it to RSNetworx. http://www.rockwella...tworks/eds.page? Stu....

Thanks. I will let you know the results once I get some time to test the above.

Hey, So I finally got time for troubleshooting this and got the problem fixed as well. I wasn't sure of how to follow your method mentioned above (because I am a noob) but I found an alternative. I found the problem was resulting from an 'electronic key mismatch' (error 73) so I unchecked the electronic keying boxes in the scan list (Found in the properties of the scanner) and applied the changes. Now the scanning process completes successfully and the drive is communicating with the PLC. I will still investigate further the method you mentioned above as well as learn whats the need for electronic key. Thanks for the help though