Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ace21122112

possible connectivity between 1769-L23E and third party touch screen

10 posts in this topic

Hi everyone Have a question Im considering using a Compactlogix Plc and connecting it to a 3rd party Touchscreen which does support Database style addressing (b3:0/0,N7:0 etc.) Now since the compactlogix is tag based and you declare variables differently is it still possible to connect the two or must I use a panelview +

It is possible...Not necessarily... The terminal will have to support similar communications protocols as the CPU controller. For your particular example, if the chosen HMI terminal application supports Ethernet/IP communications, you could very well integrate it with a CompactLogix automation controller. Edited by dmargineau

All ControlLogix-family controllers, including all CompactLogix, support some of the basic PLC/SLC data table address mechanisms by using a feature called "PLC / SLC Address Mapping". This is accessed in RSLogix 5000 via the Logic -> Map PLC/SLC Messages feature. Only boolean, Integer (16-bit) and Floating Point data tables can be emulated by this method. String, Status, Counter, Timer, UDT and other complex data types cannot. Generally you create an array tag in the ControlLogix, like "HMI_Data_INT[x]", making it an INT[x] array of length x. In the PLC/SLC Mapping feature, you assign a Data Table Number, like "7" to the tag HMI_Data_INT. When the CompactLogix receives a request for N7:10, it replies with the value from HMI_Data_INT[10], and so on.

Ok so If I declare a boolean array of say 32 (hmi_pb[32]) for example and draw a push button and assign it B3:1/1 that will be mapped to hmi_pb[17] ?

I'm not sure about BOOL[x] arrays in the ControlLogix... I'd have to do some testing and I don't have this kind of hardware handy. I have emulated Binary data tables by using an INT[x] array, and mapping it to the file number used by a "B" type data table in the SLC/PLC. So you would define an INT[x] array tag called HMI_PB, and associate it with Data Table 3. When the HMI requests B3:1/1, it gets the value of HMI_PB[1].1 The SLC-500 has the ability to refer to bits in a "B" data table file by their absolute bit number offset, as well as their Word/Bit offset. When you use the ControlLogix PLC/SLC emulation, you stick with the Word/Bit offset method.

Big question of is it possible has been answered . I was happy I can avoid using a panelview + I find them extremely confusing to set up and their cost is outrageous thanks for your help :)

What is the brand and model of touchscreen you are using ? Most of the market leaders can read ControlLogix tags natively. At least PLC/SLC Mapping mode forces you to put all your HMI traffic into compact arrays, making the communications efficient and fast.

2 main ones I use are the panasonic GT or a off shore brand called Samkoon these guys have an 10 inch diagonal full color touch that runs around 500.00 neither have controllogix tags that Im aware of anyway.

I don't have any experience with those brands. I'm at the point where my time for development and the downtime cost of the machines I build can't tolerate the inexpensive hardware I've evaluated. You might be in a more competitive market or have different circumstances, or maybe Samkoon is well-kept secret. I won't use A-B's PanelView Component because it takes too long to navigate and compose objects. And I won't use C-More because I can snap the bezels with my bare hands. Red Lion G3 are my HMI of choice, where the curves for price, functionality, ease-of-use, and durability all intersect. Edited by Ken Roach

I have to say that I like the Red Lion stuff. I haven't used their panels yet but if it's as easy to use as a DSPGT protocol converter then I'm sold I've also been using some Nematron panels. They are made by Weintech. The software is free. They like AB CLX tags though it can be a little clunky to use them at first. The price is decent. http://www.weintek.com/global/Download/DL_Demo_1.aspx http://www.nematron.com Edited by Michael Lloyd