Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wulfgar

What HMI does everyone use with Omron?

8 posts in this topic

Hey, I'm just wondering what everyone uses for an HMI to communicate with Omron PLCs. I use Omron CJ1 series PLC's mostly unless another brand is called out from the customer. We have been using Omron NT series HMIs but I'm looking for something better. The problem I'm finding is that most HMIs can't access the Work memory and some other areas not supported by the Host Link driver. I've been told that they are proprietary and Omron doesn't want others to be able to access the new areas in the CJ/CS series. So far I've found ESA Technology and XYCOM that can access these. What are your opinions on the best HMI that can be used as a standard for multiple PLC types?

You know...It's funny how rumors start.... Omron has been supporting the entire CS/CJ memory map on NT screens for about three years now. You just need to pick 1:N NT LInk instead of Hostlink. As far as proprietary goes, Omron protocols are about as published as anybody's.

I've been using Automation Direct's EZ-touch screens for about 3 years with no problems with Cj1's, CPM2C's, and Allen Bradley 503's. For the price of an Omron NT-11 screen, (No graphics, 4 line text monochrome) I can get a 5.7 inch Mono touchscreen with Bitmaps, Jpegs, and 1/2 meg of expandable memory. Even better is their 128 color 8 inch touchscreen for about $1100 US. I can program these twice as fast as an AB panelview. End result is for less than 1/2 the price you get alarm codes that maintence love and graphics that managers love. Example: I put the latest Nissan web ad into a 8 inch screen on a station on our Maxima line that the Nissan GM for Japan loved. totally useless on a funtionality standpoint but good PR.

We have been using NT series for many years but nowadays we are using NS series terminals (NS5, NS8, NS10 and NS12). These can access the new memory areas in CS/CJ series PLC. The macro language is also very useful. These terminals also support 'pass-through' communication (one can download screen data to terminal via PLC or download ladder to PLC via terminal). These also support USB printers (Version -V1, except NS5). Flash cards are also supported. We have also connected 2 video cameras to NS10 in one application. These terminals are quite good but are quite expensive. SVN

The NT terminals can also access the new Memory areas in CS/CJ PLCs. See above.

I'll vote for ProFace by Digital. They are compatable with most any PLC and they have many many features. I have used them to talk to AB, OMRON and Siemens but, they talk to just about everyone.

Thanks for the responses everyone. To Rebuke, Can the Automation Direct's EZ-touch access all the memory areas in the CJ/CS or only the ones Host-link can access? Their screens are made by AVG which we liked but they only had the host link driver so no (W) memory access. Our Omron distributor is seeing how low they can get the NS series HMI's down in price to compete with the other brands. They look like they have the features we want just not the price. To Jay, We currently use the NT series HMI with the 1:N NT link to talk to the CJs , the NT is just too limited in features. To Beryl, I've used Proface/Xycom in the past while working at Honda, it does look like they are always making improvements to the software. I think I started on version 2 or 3 and now they are up to version 6 or 7. So we may end up going with them if Omron can't compete on price. I'm just looking for one series that I can scale to any size screen or project without having to start from scratch everytime. And having the ability to import and export tags to excel so I only have to comment the addresses once. And also being able to do custom macros, scripting or something if I need to in the HMI.

To Rebuke, Can the Automation Direct's EZ-touch access all the memory areas in the CJ/CS or only the ones Host-link can access? Their screens are made by AVG which we liked but they only had the host link driver so no (W) memory access. Last I heard this is still an open issue with AVG but the way I always got around it was to use external I/O addressing that I would be sure that I would never have to use, like the addressing of the 8th or ninth card of the rack. I know this is not always practical, I will find out from AVG if this has changed.