Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TFTtimmer

Micrologix 1100 Ethernet Open Socket Problem

10 posts in this topic

Trying to connect ML 1100 to my laptop through a router over Ethernet. I have some demo code from AB that is supposed to open a socket and then be able to pass data to a EWEB Sockets Test Application running on my laptop. I made the IP addresses on my laptop and the PLC static for now to make things a little easier, I thought. I am able to PING the plc and I can use Internet Explorer to view the PLC. But every time I try to open a socket with the MSG command, the error bit is set. I have the IP address of my laptop in the MultiHop section, which also shows up in the RIX file. The communication command for the local controller is CIP Generic, the Service for the target device is custom, service code = 4B, Class = 342. I'm actually not too sure what the service code and class stand for. But there must another setting that I don't have quite right. Whenever I try to open the socket, I get an error description "Error code (in upper byte of MGx:y.22) was returned by Comms module or CIP device". Anyone have on thoughts on what to check next?

Does the MicroLogix 1100 support the Open Socket functions ? I recently did an Open Socket project with the MicroLogix 1400 Series B, and I thought for sure that it was the only MicroLogix model that had that feature. I also did my preliminary testing using that EWEB Socket Test application.

I am using a ML 1100 series B which does have the CIP Generic communication command in the MSG iinstruction. So I'm assuming that it does support that. But I could be assuming incorrectly. Besides just trying it, where would I look? The data sheet?

The MicroLogix 1100, MicroLogix 1400, and SLC-5/05 current firmware all support CIP Generic Messaging, but not every possible feature. The Open Socket feature is implemented by sending a MSG instruction to the Ethernet Port object inside the MicroLogix 1400 Series B itself. That's the crucial part for support of open sockets. I found out about it by searching the RA Knowledgebase, but when I checked the MicroLogix 1400 User Manuals it was in plain sight; 1766-UM001, Chapter 4, "Supported Communication Protocols" includes "Socket Interface with CIP Generic Messaging". Then, the Reference Manual 1766-RM001 includes a whole Chapter 24 that describes it in detail. The same chapter in the 1763-UM001 user manual does not include a reference to the Socket Interface feature.

Very interesting, I see what you're saying now. The ML 1100 series A is different from the series B. For example the series A does not support the CIP Generic Communication Command. I wonder if this is why the ML 1100 manual does not mention the Socket Interface with CIP Generic messaging. Maybe I can get some feedback from AB.

I am looking to do this very thing with a Micrologix. I am looking to communicate between the PLC and a Java application. I have seen the ML 1400 example utilizing the EWEBS module. I was not looking at using this module. I saw a note on the RA Knowledgebase that if the Micrologix 1100 has FRN 5.0, and you have RSLogix500 v 7.20 at a minimum, there is support for CIP Generic messages. I guess the 1100 did not support this before. The note I am referring to is #43175.

The FRN on my ML1100 is 9.0. The series B has the CIP protocol selection available in the software. I am actually using RSLogix Micro software.

I'm not sure I am being emphatic enough: to my knowledge, the MicroLogix 1100 does not support open socket programming. This conclusion is based on a recent review of the product literature for both the 1100 and the 1400 Series B controllers. Support for CIP Generic Messaging isn't enough: the controller needs to support the Socket Object as well. The MicroLogix 1400 Series B does, but the MicroLogix 1100 does not.

Ok thank you. I'm not familiar enough yet with the CIP generic protocol and open sockets, I'm not even totally sure that I need to open a socket yet. I was just trying to use the demo code I received from our distributor for the EWEB sockets. I need to pass data (commands) from the ML to my custom board which has an embedded Microchip PIC18F processor. Currently the control is from a PC using Internet explorer and we'd like to perform similar control from a PLC. Maybe jumping into the demo code was a bit premature, but thought I might get lucky.

Just to be safe, we quoted the ML 1400, since all of the literature and examples pointed to support for open sockets. I also saw that there was no mention of it for the 1100 in all of the literature I could find.