Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Conor

Panel layout

8 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I was wondering if someone could help me out. Have a new panel that is being sent out to a panel builder. I have an L35E and about 10 other cards hanging of it. The engineer has asked me to supply dimensions for the entire PLC configuration. I thought that I had seen a package from Bradley that did this for you? Thanks, Conor

Conor try Integrated architecture builder this is really good and checks your configuration for errors etc.... http://www.rockwellautomation.com/en/e-tools/configuration.html Edited by schui

Thanks for that Schui. I have it installed on my PC, but I couldn't remember whick one to use. I will have a go Conor

Ab has a good database of the DWG files that you can download for each card, rack and processor. These files drop right into a CAD drawing. They are in the spec section of each part. Integrated architecfture will do something similar as far as getting you dimensions of the whole app, but I am not sure if the data includes the 3D modeling with all termination points as well.

Cheers for that as well Shiner. Where can I access these DWG files? Conor

At www.rockwellautomation.com, click on Service & Support > Get Support Now. In the left pane under Resources, click on Tools & Resources. On the center pane under Configuration & Selection click on the link Product Drawings. From here type in the full part number. It doesn't seem to like partials or wild cards. I would have posted the link but then you would have never found it again without it. ;)

With the IAB tools CD, or download, you get all of sorts of stuff. The Railbuilder is quite handy for making up the DIN rail stuff. I'd suppose you can use it all to get your panel like you want it rather than how the panel shop wants to lay it out?

If you're just throwing together a drawing for a panel builder to go away and build your box and it's not going into a drawing set; why waste so much time and effort finding all the DWG files etc? Sure, it looks pretty, but so what? Just get the dimensions of the parts you need and draw square boxes to scale on a basic CAD file; along with the correct mounting panel dimensions (very important - a schneider 1200x1000x30 box does not have the same mounting panel size as a rittal 1200x1000x30) Same goes for ducting, terminals, other components; A panel builder doesn't (and nor should they) care what a PLC physically looks like, only the mounting points and that there's enough room between ducting and terminals so they can put wire numbers on internal panel wiring and there's enough room inside ducting for incoming cables to be bent within their limit and that the gland plate is big enough for the number of cables and the spacing between cables takes into consideration the gland itself with enough room to tighten them with tools. What you do with the the box once they're finished with it is your concern, not theirs :) If you only have a set budget of hours to create a set of drawings - why waste precious time on this if the drawing is going to get discarded once the box is built? If the drawing is actually going into a drawing series that will remain in a switchroom/engineering records and will actively be updated as the plant evolves; then yeah, make it look authentic and use the DWG files as others have suggested :) But even then; it's a drawing that basically serves no purpose from an electrical fault finding point of view - which is what our drawings are ultimately for. Edited by Aussie_CSE