Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
trespaser5

AB ULTRA 3000

10 posts in this topic

I have a set of 4 stand alone AB Ultra 3000 servo drives controlling roll feeders in a press room. They come as a ready built 'servo roll feeder' set made by PA industries. I have been asked to change the operator programming of these drives from them entering a specific length etc to a recipe format where they enter 1,2,3,4 for each job. The problem is the current HMI seems to be made by PA industries and we can't support it. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a pretty cheap HMI that will do the job with easy access to access to software and easy interface with the 3000, I know red lion do one but their cheapest HMI is a bit expensive for the required task. Thanks in advance Kyle

I think your only realistic options are Red Lion and Quartech. http://www.quartechcorp.com/products.htm

Thank you Ken, I'll quote them for 4 new G3 Kadets and let them decide if it's worth it. That'll probably be cheaper than buying the Quartechs and 4 micrologix PLCs and RS Logix 5000 software which we don't have.

The Quartech panels will talk directly to an Ultra 3000 via the Host Protocol serial port; you would not use a PLC or RSLogix software. You would typically use just one Quartech panel, as illustrated here: http://www.quartechcorp.com/2800u3k.htm

Sorry I thought you were referring to the ethernet bridge product. Thanks again, I've just requested a quote.

I have done a couple of Red Lion G3 to ultra 3000 feeders. PA sucks they don't have open source. The G3 HMI talks directly to the 3k with host commands as well.

What's PA? The quartech modules I recall using between a PLC-5 and an array of indexing Ultra 200 drives was very open, scriptable, reliable as any other RIO link. It was actaully a DH+ to Ultra3000 interface din rail mount, very solid unit. It gave you all the tags in the Ultra and a place to write code to poke it in whatever legal PLC-5 addresses (or SLC) you wanted. Edited by OkiePC

PA is a manufacturing company that specializes in metal forming. Rolling, straighting, feeding, stacking, destacking, etc... You know they have be an easy application because even I can do then. A simple area in the G3 and you have Acceleration,Decel, velocity, etc. Not a bad setup either. I have one talking to a Compactalogix thru the G3.

These feeder applications are dumb indexing application. There are a few special presses that need the gearing of the feeder to the press. I would guess 90% of stamping (in die progressive or transfers) will be perfectly suited for dumb Indexers. I used the built in I/O for jogging, releasing pilot valves, blind feeding, and feed initiation. All the HMI does is pass info once the operator initiates it. Then the drive runs until you change it again. I have seen jobs setup and run for years or at some shops they get changed hourly. This isn't something that use high speed communications to initiate moves.

I'm currently working on retrofitting a Ultra3000 / Red Lion G3 to a servo coil feeder. Can you send me one of your G3 'Crimson' program .gd2 files?