Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest technogumbo

Setting serial comms for GX developer

3 posts in this topic

I am wet behind the ears when it comes to "Mitsubitchy", but here goes...new laptop setup with GX Developer Ver. 8.12N trying to connect up to a brand-new A2USHCPU-S1 PLC (the OEM has it already programmed up, but we need to suck out the running version to cover our bases). Hook up the serial cable and try to pull out the code, but get "Unusable comm port" error. However, hook up older laptop with older version of software and have no problem. Thus, after spending forever searching the software and the internet, how in the heck do you configure the COM port in the gosh darned software? Unable to talk to a real person tech support on this issue.

Well first of all you are not providing enough information. - What is the COM port that GX tries to use? - What is the COM port on your PC? - Is it used by other application (RSLinx or something else) - What PLC port you connect to? - What cable you use for connection? + I don't have same version like you but you should be able to check it under Online mneu, Transfer setup. + You can rightclick on "My Computer" and go to Properties, Device Manager and check what ports are installed. If you have newer laptop without COM port and you use something like USB<>RS232 converter it's not going to be the COM1. + Try to open that COM port using third application like Hyperterminal (comes with Windows). If it complains that port is used by other application, you know what to do.

Online pulldown menu, TRANSFER SETUP.