Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Delbert

GT16 Multi Touch?

8 posts in this topic

I reciently upgraded an A985GOT-TBD to a GT1685M-STBD. The machine has been running fine for over a week now. Today i was called to the machine because the operator could not get a certin screen to come up. The operator showed me that to get the screen to pop up he had to push two "buttons" on the screen. I confirmed with the PLC program that two buttons on the screen needed to be pressed to put the screen number into the data register. This works on the A985 but on the GT16 when a second finger is touched to the GOT at any point it cancles out the first one and no input comes on. Is there a setting in the GT16 that i am missing to enable multiple touch points? I have searched thru the manuals for the A985 and the GT16 and i can not find anything in either manual about a multi touch. Thanks for your help

The GT 16 doesn't support double input. You'll have to use a GT15.

Anyone else find it ironic that the double touch isn't supported but to call up the utility screen you need to touch the upper "two" corners of the screen? -Dave

Actually on a GT 16 it's only one corner(when enabled). It has to do with the new screen types. GT16 are analog resitive the GT15 Matrix resistive.

Ran into something similiar awhile back (memory is foggy). There is a setting in the utility screen for "Touch Mode". see attached pics

The analog resistive touch screen cannot allow two touches at once. it determines where it is touched by change in resistance. This is part of the reason touch cells can be formed to any size, not just snapped to an 8x8 grid. That's why you don't see the grid lines on the screen, because there is no more touch cell grid.

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm not sure if this is an upgrade or a downgrade for Mitsubishi. The screen is bright and clear, and as Crossbow said the buttons can be made any size. But for most of us these things are in an industrial enviroment smeared with greese and dirt and only get looked at when there is a problem with the equipment, at which time the operator wants to be able to push buttons and recover the equipment as fast as possible not worry about weather or not they pushed the right tiny button with their gloved coolant soaked finger. In my opinion bigger buttons are better.

You can make buttons just as big on analog resistive screen. That's not even an issue. The issue is that analog resistive is newer technology, like what you see on cell phones and tablets. And removing that touch grid does improve the screen quality, brightness, etc. In the future, it will allow new types of screen objects and control than in the past. Right now, it means people who had the GOT set up to press two buttons at once will have to make some changes to their screens. I've never written a program where two buttons had to be accessible at the same time.