AnoAno

Omron E5CN & Labview

7 posts in this topic

Hello, I have an Omron E5CN temperature controller and I am trying to read/write data via Labview. I can access the controller with the Thermomini software (by Omron) under the Comway protocal but I am unable to access the controller via Labview. I cannot buy the OPC server by NI and I tried both Compway/Modbus with no luck. The controller is connected via a RS232 to USB converter. Can anyone help out?

Given the correct Modbus RTU addressing, the E5CN is Modbus RTU capable. You do need to set the COMMS in the E5CN to Modbus. CompoWay/F (Omron protocol) is the default.

On 8/31/2012 at 5:58 AM, PMCR said:

Given the correct Modbus RTU addressing, the E5CN is Modbus RTU capable. You do need to set the COMMS in the E5CN to Modbus. CompoWay/F (Omron protocol) is the default.

Hi PMCR. I'm writing the Siemens PLC program to read data from Omron E5CN using Modbus RTU. I'm in trouble of Modbus Address. In Siemens, the address for reading holding register is from 40001 to 49999. But in Omron, they use different address. I don't know how to configure the address in PLC program. Please give me some advice!

The actual Modbus protocol does not use the absolute address in the protocol, but the relative address within the memory area.

The Holding registers are 40,001 and higher.

Modbus Function Code 03 (Read Holding Register) is used to read the holding registers.  Then in the address part of the Modbus message, you specify which holding register to read.

From the Modbus spec, relative address 0000 (when using Function Code 03) is absolute address 40,001.

It sounds to me like the Siemens PLC is allowing you to specify the absolute address.

The E5CN uses function code 03 to read variables.

So I believe all you need to do is add 40,001 to the addresses in the E5CN manual, and the Siemens PLC will correctly address the E5CN.

1 person likes this