Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
talha337

GE Fanuc Rx3i PLC & CITECT SCADA

5 posts in this topic

Dear all, I have an existing CITECT SCADA v5.4 which is quiet an old one and have to communicate with GE Fanuc Rx3i PLC..........in going through the CITECT I/O devices, i found it has support for 90-30 & 90-70 series PLC and not Rx3i series PLC. So, can anyone please help me if it is possible to perform communication through ethernet or some software updates would be required.......Waiting for a quick reply. Thanks in advance

The same driver that works for the 90-30 and 90-70 will work with the Rx3i. The only issue might be in the way the Rx3i program is written. The Series 90 PLCs were limited to numeric addresses and an older communications driver may have the same limitations. The Rx3i supports symbolic addressing and doesn't require a numeric address, although one can be applied. For example, in a 90-30 you couold have an integer variable called "Widget" with an address of %R00101. That same variable in an Rx3i could simply be named "Widget" without assigning the %R00101 address. If the programmer of the Rx3i didn't use numeric addressing you'll need to make some modifications.

Hii Steve, Thnks for the quick response. I have some queries though. Like I have to perform ethernet communication(redundant). So can u tell me what would be the communication protocols that i have to use.....like i/o device type, port, board and other parameters which come when we click on the communication tab in the CITECT SCADA. Also like GE PLCs have addressing in the form of %R00010, but when writing it in CITECT it gives error on compilation.......it is not taking that address it takes address like I1, Q1, AI1 or AO1. So can you explain if this would work. I have not been able to start work on it or test it as we need a permit and it wld take some time but i wld like to clear all my doubts before starting the work........ Once thnks for quick reply.......

I'm sorry, but I don't know Citect very well so I can't offer details about how to set up a specific instance of their communications driver. All I can say is that you should be able to copy the setup you already have for a 90-30 or 90-70. The name of the GE communications protocol is "SNP" or SNP-X" for serial communications and probably "SRTP" for ethernet.

Hii Steve, Thnks for ur reply. If u can help me can u please tell me anyone in the forum here or outside who knows CITECT well.......as i am also new at it and I am at site so have to do everything myself. Will appreciate any help that u can give.. Thnks once again