Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dknapp

Omron CJ1W-ETN21 & Socket Services

5 posts in this topic

Hello, I am doing some investigation on the capabilities of the CJ1W-ETN21, and I cannot seem to find a direct answer from Omron or otherwise. The PLC must be able to perform socket services, specifically UDP communication. The 3rd-party application has defined a C++ struct that uses standard UDP communications and defines the UDP packet contents (what is to be sent to / received from the PLC). My question is, does the CJ1W-ETN21 support the standard UDP communication protocol as defined in RFC768? Thanks in advance

Indefatigably, YES! There are plenty of people here that can attest to it.

Great, thank you for the confirmation!

The 'Socket Services' function of the ETN21 is just the Omron way of saying 'user defined protocol', as opposed to FINS. I have used it for bar code readers, torque wrenches, and numerous other non Omron protocol devices. It works with UDP and TCP, and you can have up to 8 sockets open at a time.

Hi, I agree with everything already said for CJ1W-ETN21, and also used for several proprietry protocols. But for other readers I want to add a word of caution: Some of the models with INBUILT Ethernet ports (like CJ1M-CPUxx-ETN), plus the puny CJ1W-CIF41 by design do NOT include socket services so if you need this functionality make sure the model you have/buy supports it ! Regards, BB