Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shiner

Contrologix

6 posts in this topic

I am away from the office (all my equipment) and got a call from a customer who wants us to modify his program so that it is in A different language. What is involved?

To be a bit more clear, the customer would like a button on the touch screen to select between languages.

I presume you're not talking about the actual tag names or the program comments in the ControlLogix controller or RSLogix 5000 software, but rather the text objects that are on an HMI screen of some type. What HMI software is this system using ? Some HMI software has multi-language support (like FactoryTalk View) to one degree or another. My company does PanelView Plus applications that can be switched between English and Japanese with a pushbutton. We export the text objects and have a professional translator do our first translation, then check over the way they appear onscreen. Only a few objects can't use the text switching method just because of the way things line up, so for those we use bitmaps. Edited by Ken Roach

It would be for a panelview plus 1000. We have FT View Studio.

Okay, then it's definitely do-able and I know a little about it (I was indirectly involved in the translation projects). When you open up a FactoryTalk View project, you'll see a Language selection at the bottom of the screen. For me, the default is "English (United States), en-US", but on the drop-down menu I can also select "Japanese, ja-JP". Inside the FactoryTalk View application, you access the Language Switching feature via the Tools -> Languages menu. You can add or remove languages from the project, and Export or Import the text objects in the project. You must have these languages installed in Windows on your development PC. The basic idea is that you create all the text objects in your native language, then export and translate them, then import the two sets of text objects. Switching between languages in the runtime application causes the text objects to switch between the different text sets. It's not perfect; some things don't allow translation, like system warnings and system tags that are Strings. But the feature has been around since version 4.0 and it's pretty well documented in the User Manual and the Help files. What are the languages you need to switch between ?

English and Spanish. Thanks for the pointer, I will play around and see how this goes.