Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PLC70

Book for PLC program examples

13 posts in this topic

Hi friends,Plz suggest me any book about PLCs which have many PLC program examples.I will be thankful to you.

You need to decide which PLC. Every vendor is a bit different, and so every book is a bit different too.

Ok thanks i need example programs for SIEMENS S7-300/400 PLCs. Also tell me book name which can provide me practical guide on OMRON PLCs,

try Amazon: "STEP 7 in 7 Steps - A Practical Guide to Implementing S7-300/S7-400 Programmable Logic Controllers" I have not seen the book but table of content looks good. but to learn programming, it is not enough to read the book, you need to practice on actual PLC.

Thanks to reply.I have read this book "Step 7 in 7 steps" it is a comprehensive book on s7-300/400 PLCs. Do you know any book like this on OMRON PLCs?

no idea, i never needed one. just used Omron manuals. they are easy to find and their software is quite intuitive.

Yes i know about OMRON manuals but i want to know which manual one should must read before start working on a specific CPU of OMRON. In my organization there are many many CS and CJ series PLCs of OMRON. Now let suppose if i want to work on a specific CPU of CJ series then which manual i must read before start working on this CPU because there are many manuals on this CPU.Guide plz.

Which manual to read depends on what data you want. The titles of the manuals tell you what information is found inside. Are you looking for hardware information? Programming instructions?

Actually i am working in maintenance department of my organization.Previously i was responsible for maintenance of process instrumentation systems but now i am also responsible for maintenance of PLC based systems. I am new in PLCs. There are variety of PLCs of different brands(e.g SIEMENS.OMRON,KOYO,MITSUBISHI,ALLEN BRADELY,TELEMECHANIQUE etc) in my organisation. To do maintenance job on any of these brands i must know about these PLCs. Each brands specific CPU have many manuals and i am confused which manual is necessary for me.Guide plz.

you are not going to learn all this in one mad dash. it will take some time. you have to work on one of them at a time. 1. locate PLC you need to work on, write down model number 2. install software if you don't have already 3. read manual about software (and open and explore every menu). 4. read programming manual for family of your PLC series (should get you info on types of memory and addressing) 5. get instruction reference manual (you don't need to read it all, only instructions of interest) 6. create offline project for that CPU and add few lines of code, comments etc. see if this compiles 7. try to go online with plc, then download, upload etc 8. when online check monitoring options, crossreferences and online editing, setting and resetting values etc. 9. summarize needed steps and write them down. you may find this handy when you are forced to work on same brand after long period of inactivity or working with other brands. 10. when stuck post question here or call support hotline (after all, you need to get to know what you may expect when you really need some help) repeat for every brand you want to get familiar with... that's about it. you can check programs others have done. bunch of them are in the download section in this forum. that is a great way to learn - regardless if you like or dislike what the other guys have done. on a complexity level, there are things like: bit logic (ladder logic rungs with pure inputs, outputs and internal memory bits) indirect addressing analog I/O networking, motion control etc. PLCs alone are rare sight, there is ton of other products you will have to get used to (HMIs, drives, safety devices etc.) just do one step at a time and tell us how it goes...
1 person likes this

Thanks alot for your beneficial information and guidance. Your guidance have cleared much of my confusion and now i will start my work on any one PLC brand according to your guide line, mentioned in this post. Bundle of thanks again.

as you mentioned in this post by reading other persons prepared programs is a great way to learn, yes you are absolutely right. When i started that thread my moto was to find out a book or website which have number of application programs.