Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gleblanc

Minimum software for MicroLogix1400

11 posts in this topic

Hi folks. I just got in a new control panel for one of our DC nutrunners here at the plant. The vendor supplied the complete control panel, which includes a MicroLogix 1400 (1766-L32BWA) and a PanelView Component C300 (2711C-T3M). I'm going to need to make some changes to this machine locally, and the vendor is too far away to make "house calls" for the small changes/tweaks I need to make. What version of RSLogix 500 will I need to be able to connect to this thing and upload new logic? I'm pretty sure that I can do all the programming via the ethernet port. What about the PV Component? I remember that I didn't need software for the last one I used, but it also had an ethernet port. Am I better off using the Connected Components Workbench Software to make changes, or is there a USB cable I can use to connect my laptop directly to the PV? Thanks.

RSLogix 500 - http://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwellsoftware/design/rslogix500/orderinginfo.html I would get 'Standard' - I don't think online programming is supported in 'Starter' but you may want to check with your Allen-Bradley distributor. (You'll have to anyway since you can only order through them.)

Not sure if you are you asking about revision or edition... If it is edition, then RSLogix Micro should be cheaper than Standard or Pro. As for revision, I think I have 8.3 currently installed but ML1400 was supported for a while, probably 7.xx should work too.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pp/9324m-pp001_-en-p.pdf Shoule be ok to use Starter for free

I'm still arguing with RSLogix about this project. I've got RSLogix Micro Starter Lite, version 8.10.00. According to the release notes, This is the first release of RSLogix Micro. The following features are available in this release: · Support for MicroLogix1400 Series A: ML1400 processor type support When I fire up RSLogix and try to load the project file, I get a window that says "The project with unsupported processor can not be opened by RSLogix Micro." I get a similar message when I try to go online with RSLogix, though RSLinx sees the processor just fine, and was able to upload the EDS file from the device. I've attached the RSS file... Am I just on the wrong version? Is RSLogix Micro a no-go, and I just need to buy RSLogix 500 Starter? Thanks for any pointers. 142-06-3.RSS

Just buy the software, make sure you got 700 or more bucks!

RSLogix Micro Starter Lite is the free version that only supports the ML1000 and ML1100. You need at least the RSLogix Micro Starter version, not free $$$

Bah, so confusing! Narrowed it down to 3 options, RSLogix Micro Starter (9324-RL0700NXENE) for $130, RSLogix Micro Developer (9324-RL0700NXENE) for $504, or RSLogix 500 Starter (9324-RL0700NXENE) for $700. I hate to go to the RSLogix 500 Standard at over $1500 for this tiny project (that should have come in working to begin with). As long as I stick with MicroLogix PLCs, will Micro Developer do more for me than 500 Starter? I tried to find a comparison of 500 vs Micro, but I haven't had much luck yet. I do need to buy a copy of Logix 5000 and FactoryTalk View for the new compact logix/PV+ machine we just installed in another part of the plant. The bundle with 5/500/5000 is like $10k, and 5000 standard is only a couple of grand. Doesn't seem to make financial sense, unless I were actually programming these things, and not just fixing them. Thanks.

See profiles for the software, last page has a comparison of different versions. http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pp/9324m-pp001_-en-p.pdf http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pp/lg500-pp001_-en-e.pdf

I feel your pain. I just spent around 6k for 5000 and Factory Talk View Studio for a new machine. I then found out I needed to spend another $500 to upgrade RSLinx just so I could use OPC even though it looked like the option was there with the free version.

I wound up using RSLogix Micro Developer for this. My AB rep told me that RSLogix 500 does everything from RSLogix Micro, plus support for SLCs. Since I don't have any SLCs, and plan to stay with Micro and CompactLogix in the future, it didn't make sense to get RSLogix 500.