Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The_Merovingian

OMRON Connection Problem CQM1-CIF02 Interface Unit

9 posts in this topic

Hello All. I am hoping someone can help me, I am having a bit of trouble with my new laptop. Originaly I used a CQM1-CIF02 Interface Unit (Serial -Serial) to connect to a CPM1a- CPU. My new laptop has no Serial port. I have tried a USB-Serial converter and also a PCMCIA to Rs232. I have selected the correct ports within CX-Programmer but both of them return an error saying no CPU found. Does anyone know if the CQM1-CIF02 interface is only compatible with Serial to Serial or can it be used on USB-Serial converter and/or on a PCMCIA to Rs232? I no longer have acces to my old laptop and I have only the one CQM1-CIF02 cable so I am hoping its not the cable and interface unit that needs replacing.? If so is there a USB-CIF02 direct replacement? As I am new to OMRON do I need the Interface unit? Thank you in advance Nick

Hi Nick, I'm using CQM1-CIF02 + third party RS232 -> USB with my laptop it woks for me fabulously. OS : Win7 x64bin Home Premium CX Programmer Version: 9.03 I think you have a problem with your USB converter cable. - Chinthana

Hello Chinthana Thank you for the reply, Yes it seems to be a problem with my USB-Serial cable; But it's ok because I got the PCMCIA-Serial card working so all is good with the world...lol. Being a Allen-Bradley brat I was getting quite confused...lol Thanks again, Nick

PCMCIA is a good solution usually if your laptop has the slot. More recent machines are doing away with it or they sport PC Express slots, that have an entirely different form factor (my current laptop is a Lenovo ThinkPad T410 and comes with it). For USB to RS232 converters Omron has a good one, part name CJ1W-CIF31, that can be used also with different environments (IIRC Siemens recommended it straight on for using with Step 7). Another good choice is Moxa, type UPort 1100.

Thanks Luigi, My laptop too has a PC Express slot. But at the time I only had PCMCIA card. Thank you for the other info. Do you think it would be worth getting a PC-E rs232 card? Nick Edited by The_Merovingian

I have used the CQM1-CIF02 with USB adapters with mixed success but I can usually come up with a combination that works. I carry several different adapters with me because they seem to be inconsistent about working with the CQM1-CIF02 and CS1W-CN226. I have had the best luck with the Belkin F5U409 and a Keyspan USA-19HS serial adapters.

I have the Omron one and it works so far with everything I have thrown at it - I do not bother trying to save money buying anything else anymore. I suspect the secret is that it has an FTDI chip set.

PCMCIA and PC-E cards does not need software drivers to install as they are already present in the OS, while USB converters do. This sometimes can lead to problems. I read somewhere that to minimize issues it is better to install any driver for USB converters just immediately after powering on for the first time a new computer. I dislike PC-E cards serials because due to the low form factor, almost always the output ports are protruding from the side of the laptop. This did not happen with PCMCIA cards, but of course this is an entirely personal issue. AFAIK a PC-E card will cost less than a CIF31 converter, that as BobB said is a very sturdy piece of hardware.

Hi. I am a sales engineer at OMRON and I have seen some customers not being able to communicate when they use third party USB-SERIAL converters. OMRON offers the CS1W-CIF31 USB to serial converter; it is not cheap; but as far as I know, it always works well with serial interfaces for older PLC's. Hope this helps. Edited by RosendoArizpe