Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
travish

Cooling Options

9 posts in this topic

Why do A/C units for Control Panels cost so much? Using Hoffmans online calculator, I need 6000 BTU's, would be using 480 vac, my quote was a little over $3000. My unit for my house didn't cost but $2500. You can buy a window unit from Lowes for $500. Does anyone know of a cheaper option? Travis

If you have clean dry instrument air and lots of it, then "Vortex" coolers work well. See links below http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=CqtN8oNHPT4PNEsrGsQKN9c3CCu-Si6kCn-vxyhXH7v0GCAAQASgDUIruitgDYMne6IbIo5AZoAHtufb-A8gBAaoEHE_QOUwLiAOoG6y8TcMRV43eSe6nomCQcs-El3s&sig=AOD64_1TNEEmWgrVdbMG6ipOfzwRYR4edw&ved=0CAcQ0Qw&adurl=http://www.automationdirect.com/enclosure-cooling%3Fsource%3Dgoogle%26keyword%3Dvortex%2520coolers%26type%3Dsearch http://www1.mscdirec...ItmDtl-_-PypClk Edited by Mickey

Our air is nasty, you can always find an air leak at our plant if it is blowing on something, it leaves a black oily film. Travis

We use Pfannenberg or Ice Qube. Just did a similar sized unit for a little more half the cost you mentioned. I think alot of times it is the application that dictates cost. Your unit at home is UL listed, but may not have NEMA ratings. Even though it is exposed to the elements, and for industrial use would need a 3R type rating, it does not have it. There may be some cost there to have that rating. I would also hope they are a little more robust, and can take more abuse from oils, dusts, sprays ect than my window unit at home. Still doesn't help the pocket book though. Try the two sources I mentioned. They have consistently kicked hoffman's butt on price, and look and work good as well.

I use thermal edge. They make some nice units at a good cost they private label some for the big boys. If you look at the difference between your home unit, the one at Lowe's and a Good quality enclosure cooling system you will notice. The enclosure units can handle several more cycles per your (a must have when you oversize the unit), they are non@-condensing ( you don't want water in electrical panel), some older units are condensing ( stay away from top mount units that condense), they are designed to handle dirty condensors much better than a residential unit. Some have some special coatings on the coils to keep bacteria from growing. Those are the few things that come to mind. Hope that helps. Call Lisa at Thermal Edge and tell her Jeff Kiper from Full Circle Automation said to call.

thanks guys, I already ordered the high dollar unit, next project I will check out the suppliers that you mentioned Travis

Just curious, what does generate so much heat in your enclosure?

Drives, transformers, etc. You would be surprised at what plc cards can generate.

There are massive differences between a window unit at Lowe's and a control panel A/C from Hoffman. For one, the Window Unit is a residential grade unit. The manufacturer didn't have to spend the extra time and money building an A/C unit that complies with all of the various certification requirements for industrial-grade devices. It's more than just cutting and bending some steel a different way. It's more R&D and engineering time. Plus, Hoffman isn't selling nearly as many units as Lowe's is, so they don't have the economy-of-scale advantages residential unit makers have. It's a basic fact in manufacturing that the more you make of something, the cheaper each unit becomes. Those hard setup and tooling costs are spread over more units. Plus, there is more of an incentive to increase the efficiency of the process as time goes on.