Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
n00b

PL73 - Divide Overflow?

7 posts in this topic

Abstract: When attempting to start PL73.exe on MS DOS 6.22 workstation, I now occasionally receive a message "Divide Overflow" error. Let me start out by saying, I am not a PLC guy. I'm a Network Tech / Sys Admin / IT Support guy. I am not well versed in PLC systems and learning bits here and there. This is a 486 based PC running DOS 6.22 that runs the PL7-3 "PL7-3/DOS" software to connect to a TSX P8730 CPU with the required hardware key and Tele interface box. The PC has worked fine for 10+ years, I have been fiddling with it for ~2-3 days. I have copied (Ghosted) the disk to an image so that I can work / test and not interfere with our production system, as well as a general backup as I have for all of my other production systems. I have also copied said image to several test machines of varying vintage (386, 486-66, Pentium I @66MHz) and tried various combinations of memory size and clock speeds, all with the same results. I also created a Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 drive in an attempt to virtualize to use on newer hardware. Everything results in the same error: Divide Overflow. Googling for answers leads to more questions. Any suggestions / Ideas? I also have a few original packages of Tele software. I'm not sure how to decode what they mean. The packages that I have are: "TSX LF PL7 2 V3" PL7-2/17/DOS Installation and Executable + Help "TSX LF PL7 2 V3" PL7-2/27-47/DOS Installation and Executable + Help "TSX LF PL7 3 V3" PL7-3/DOS Installation and Executable + Help "TSX TDC BC 3330 V3.2)" PL7-3/PC+PS PRG+ADJ DISKS - Installation and Executable + Help I actually have two copies of PL7-3/DOS. --n00b

This usually happens when you divide by zero. This error can also happen when one divides a 32 bit number by a 16 bit number but the result won't fit into a 16 bit number. Then these errors occur an interrupt occurs where the designer either puts in a good error handler or simply reports the problem.

Peter, I understand what the error is from. I'm trying to figure out why it is happening. as far as error handling, there is none. Here is verbatim what happens: c:\te_ap\pl7_3\pl73.exe Divide Overflow c:\te_ap\pl7_3\ I am trying to figure out *why* it is happening, randomly.

Hi, I can't explain why it happens but the fact is that's a question of speed. The PL7-1, 2 and 3 software under DOS need very old computer. So either you find an antique 286 or 386 computer or you switch to the OS/2 versions of these software wich are more recent and run very well on a virtual computer. JC

JC, I have been trying to use a program called " MoSlo " for Dos to slow the CPU frequency, but I am having no luck. I am also trying to locate a 386, or early 486. I would absolutely love to just run said software inside a VM and be done with it. So far I have been unable to locate an emulator that has speed (cpu frequency) controls. Do you know of some OS/2 virtual computer image? Edited by n00b

Hi, Send me a pm, I'll give you a link to download one. Jc Edited by acpi

Done! Edited by n00b