Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DCS_GURU

Multi touch on HMI panels

6 posts in this topic

Hay have a look at this the first industrial software to fully support multitouch http://www.copadata.com/en/products/automation-solutions/zenon-hmi-scada-applications-with-multi-touch-on-the-operator-panel.html?PHPSESSID=bbe2c754fdde2d3cf5dab8b0739b53e3 Also looks like they will be a market leader for some time, just spoke to a siemens rep and he says it will be several years before they can do this Looks very cool

Market leadership depends on a lot more than simply having a unique feature. Granted, it's a nice feature and it gives them bragging rights, but I haven't heard too many of my customers bemoaning its lack on the HMI panels they're using. Furthermore, anyone who thinks it would be a good idea to take advantage of that feature to implement two-hand control doesn't belong in the industry. It's actually two-finger control, and on a small screen those two fingers could easily be on the same hand.

Very true, but in my experiance those that dont embrace technology get left behind with massively outdated systems and huge upgrade costs. I have spoken to several of the large bottling line manufacturers all who have said they have begun projects with this technology included in, for them it is not just a market differentiator but also a HSE issue. My back ground is oil and gas and I know from there people do not like to change but almost all of the industrial disaster over the last 20 years have been down to operator error due to badly designed operator interfaces, and there is a growing need to improve the operator system interaction experiance to reduce these type of errors. Functionality such as multi touch goes a long way towards this , and certainly the feedback we have in the UK is that many of the big machine producers are buying into this in a big way. So I guess the answer is wait and see........... I also saw a full size SCADA demo of the technology which real had the WOW factor, allowing users (with the right privalages) to repositions screens and frames at will via drag operations, They also allow it to be used with there world view module which made zooming into an area much easier to do. it was very minority report

Geez - you can do multitouch with any screen with smarts in the PLC anyway. Swipe - do not use it with tablets either. Marketing hype?

Looks like Siemens had something in the works http://youtu.be/GmIeVagtkGo

looks to me as a good marketing Hype but these days there are all kind of products that have this functionality.So no Big Deal as everybody will be following this trend now.