Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest ttl

Allen Bradley Plc Training For Rs Logix

7 posts in this topic

I've completed a RS logix 500 basic maintainance course in the middle of last year and continued when possible my training in work, but I'm now looking to extend my training from home. I have the necessary programs to do this but I'm intrested if there is any good webs or manuals that could be recommended that would give me information along with small projects to attempt. Thanks

Do you have trainer kit or a PLC you can play with to? Or just the RS Logix 500 ladder software? If not, I suggest that you purchase a small PLC like a MicroLogix 1000 on eBay. I picked up a 32 I/O for $80.00 last week. And only purchase one if you are passionate about it. Then, use your PLC to automated things around the house. Like maybe your christmas lights, or sprinklers. I use mine to control some stuff around Halloween time. I have a blast, and the kids love it. You can always do the traffic light example, write a program to control a traffic light. Or if it's books you are seeking. Take a look at our links section. There are all kinds of other places you can visit. http://www.mrplc.com/sites/displayrank.cgi?|40 LearningPit is a good site too.

Greetings: I have taught beginning PLC classes for a number of years. The suggestions given above are all good. Last winter I had a very serious heart attack and I'm not working now. I would be happy to share some of the programs we use in class with you. I don't have a great amount of time but someone had tio teach me and I'll try to help. Charlie

Greetings again I have gotten my books together and the text we use is Technicians Guide to Programmable Controllers By Richard A. Cox You should be able to order this through one of the book stores. I don't have another copy available but if you want one and cannot find it, I may be able to get you a copy through the school. Another book I like is Micro Mentor by Rockwell/Allen Bradley. I searched their site and was not able to find it. I can give you copies of the material we use in the lab portion of the class. Let me know how I can help.

I agree 100 percent regarding the home automation. I got my kids involved and we had a blast. There is a console near my kitchen hidden behind what looks like a shadow box. Behind that you will find a PV600 connected to a SLC rack downstairs. I had only heard of Micrologix at the time I did this or I would have taken that route. Ya gotta love E-Bay.........

Hopefully the home automation project idea is one that appeals to the original post. I am looking forward to setting up my own home automation project in the near future (when I find the time....). I also bought two Micrologix 1000 PLCs for $50-$60 each on Ebay and even got one of those proprietary programming cables for $30 on Ebay. I recently purchased an interesting book called Home Automation Basics - Practical Applications Using Visual Basic 6.0. It is written by Tom Leonik. It covers the basics of a Home Automation Project centered around a Micrologix 1000 PLC. His example covers the 1761-L20BWB-5A which has analog I/O capabilities. The book is more geared for those with an interest in VB that want to roll their own HMI on their home PC.

I also failed to mention that www.ab.com has .PDF versions of the manuals available for printing or downloading to your PC. I believe the entire Micrologix User Guide is over 400 pages. It has some small examples in the appendix, and has pages that explain the workings of each instruction. The help in the RS-Logix software is not bad either when you want to find info on an instruction. Anyone who has used Mitsubishi GPP-WIN in the past knows what I mean....