Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mhowasso

MicroLogix and Wireless IO

18 posts in this topic

Hi All, Using a MicroLogix 1400 that has its serial and ENET ports in use, any suggestions for a remote wireless IO system..??? I have about 8 descrete inputs I need to monitor about 100 yards away and looking for a wireless way to do this. Thanks

The only way use remote IO on a ML1400 is with the message instruction, but this not a very good way to do IO. You might be able to get some device that can transmit your inputs to the same panel and then use the outputs of the receiving device to wire directly to the ML1400 digital inputs.

Any suggestions..???

Read what AB says here if you choose Ethernet I/P http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/ap/enet-ap004_-en-e.pdf Then read here: http://www.prosoft-technology.com/training/whitepapers/Applying-Wireless-to-Ethernet-IP-Systems.pdf Then to say, I have used the prosoft repeaters for one application for EthernetNET I/P and they seemed to work ok for a rotating module I had that all I could get through the rotating module was a 120 vac slip ring. Or you can get the wireless point I/O adapter, that has the wireless built in. http://www.prosoft-technology.com/prosoft/products/industrial_wireless/wireless_i_o/ilx34_aenwg

Hi Chris, Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I also found these. http://www.phoenixcontact.com/signal-level-matching/31240_15482.htm Anyone have any experience with these..???

Hi Chris, The Prosoft info looks great but it seems to imply it is only for RSLogix 5000 I have to use the MicroLogix 1400 so the 5000 is out of the question. Do you know if it will also work with RSLogix 500 or is there another option..?? Thanks

The prosoft module that I pointed to, I probably should not have. When I originally pointed to prosoft, I was mostly referring to the wireless "industrial" products they have. The wireless I/O module prosoft has, is mostly a 1734-AENT, but with a wireless connection. As far as my understanding goes, the AENT modules is for a 5000 series PLC only. I don't think a 500 PLC can be configured for this device.

The ML1400 has two serial ports, are both in use? You can use MODBUS on the round one, might be an option.

Hi Ken... That is a very good point that I had forgot. Yes, I do have two serial ports. Do you have any suggestions for a wireless device that would use this serial port..??? Thanks

Hi, We have been using the Banner "SureCross" units for years with minimal fuss. I believe it is Ethernet interface. HERE BD

Hi BD.. Thanks for the info. I will look into this system. Mark

Banner wireless as well. Do you have power at both places? If so look at the DX 70 family they are point to point wire replacers. If you don

Yes, I have power at both places. Thanks for the info. Mark

I’m not sure if it’s too late for your needs but Freewave technologies has a wireless I/O product and it’s an Encompass partner approved product line. You can find it here http://www.freewave.com/Products/PRODUCTFAMILY/IO.aspx I’ve used them and they work very well. You will need to set up the port as a Modbus RTU port but the Micrologix 1400 (and 1100) ports will do this. They also have some write-ups on how to configure the PLC to work with the I/O radios (addressing etc…)

I've used the Banner DX-80s quite a bit and have been very satisfied with them. They can talk over modbus or convert back to hard wired I/O so that you can physically wire them to the Micrologix 1400 inputs.

I have used the banner as well. They are very good and easy to set-up. I have one issue where some of my signals were being lost, but that was where I had a lot of metal tanks and where trucks were passing. I installed a big arial (banner part) and this fixed the problem Conor

One nice thing about them is they have a site survey built into them. So you can mount one and take the other with a battery pack around to figure out the optimum placement.

I just finished a phone call to Banner about their solar powered nodes. I have several of the battery powered units running out in the middle of no where. They are hard to beat. An added plus is they have good support