Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Noely

Barcode Scanner Loading Recipes

9 posts in this topic

Hi, I have a project where it has been asked of me to provide a means of loading a recipe by scanning a barcode. Basically the operator will scan the barcode and the settings associated with that recipe will be loaded. I have previously used the recipe plus function in the panel view plus terminals and I was planning on using this function again as the barcode was not requested at the outset. I will be using a compact logix to control this machine. I have decoded barcodes before to show details of a batch order on a hmi. I was thinking that I could scan the barcode in and the operator will use the recipe plus function to load the recipe and if the recipe name loaded does not match the barcode that has been scanned, it will flag an error. If I could get a few ideas or a discussion started, it might put me in the right direction. I will greatley appreciate any comments given. Thank you.

It's a good topic! I have a RecipePlus application coming up where I suspect the customer is going to drop a barcode reader on me at the last minute. My first two questions are: 1. Has the model and type of barcode reader been determined yet ? I If it's a USB-connected device, it's going to have to be connected to the PanelView Plus and will have to implement the Human Interface Device (HID) USB profile, which most barcode readers do. That's the profile used by keyboards and mice, and the PanelView Plus supports it fairly well. But FactoryTalk View ME is pretty limited in what it can do with keyboard input: it can use it as a String Entry or a Numeric Entry, and that's pretty much it. You will need to get the String or Numeric Entry object highlighted and then scan the barcode. If the barcode reader has RS-232, we can do more with it. My instinct is to connect it to the logic controller, since those are very good at handling ASCII in the background. You could use the serial port or a network interface (Real Time Automation's gateways are fall-off-a-log easy to use) or a module like the 1734-232ASC. 2. Is the recipe data included in the barcode, or will is the barcode just a single identifier to look things up in another recipe data source ?

Hi Ken, Thank you for the response. I will be connecting the barcode to the serial port of the plc and interpeting its data like I have done previously. The information being scanned is just the recipe name. There are two timer values associated with each recipe and I want to load them when the recipe I scan matches the recipe in the database sort of speak. I have been reading up on this a bit and I think I will need to go down the route of creating arrays and try and extract the relevant timer values. I will also need to provide a way of allowing the operator to enter new recipes and modify exixting recipes. As I have not used arrays that much before, I am just looking for pointers as to how best to implement them in the project.

Did you choose your bar code reader yet? Check out Keyence. There bar code reader is cool to use. You will not have to do any basic programming, or manipulate data to use it. It basically gives you a binary output and with some rung programming it just works. I have used several of them and they are great.

Couple of thoughts I'll throw into the mix. I've used bar code scanners before with the Logix family of processors and found that the 1734-ASC module makes a great remote serial port if your scanner is some distance from the CPU. You can give yourself a serial port over ethernet/cotnrolnet or DHRIO based on your choice of modules. ALso there are ways to pass data from the Logix PLC to the Panelview and actually have the scanned bar code choose the recipe so that all the operator needs do is press a confirm button on the HMI. Can't share how I've done that in the past as the customer considers it proprietary, but suffice to say it can be done.

it is good to have a barcode scanning app that can load recipes for me. i am just looking for such thing. great for the help.

I can second the Keyence stuff, it just works!

yep, you know what,me, too
1 person likes this

Hi, jane313. What do you mean by: you know what,me, too? Have you ever tried any barcode scanning apps? Did them work well? Best regards, Arron