Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RVaughan

Equipment Maker Caught Installing Backdoor Account in Control System Code

5 posts in this topic

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/04/ruggedcom-backdoor/ Hmm... What need does the equipment maker have for a backdoor in installed equipment? What right do they have? Will this behavior affect the industry's purchasing decisions? Edited by RVaughan

Interesting, thanks

I have never used these products before, nor ever even considered them for a project. I do not know their motives, either, but consider at least that it is a useful feature for end users who lose their passwords. This would enable them to provide a reset password for a device, and not give away 'root' access to all devices everywhere. I know of other devices that have this capability of a reset mechanism based on MAC address. I would prefer it not exist, but I see the point. I read the article with interest and what bothers me is not so much the backdoor - but the ease at which it was cracked (bad) and the fact they blew it off (even worse). I checked their website - they have security products - who would trust those products now - knowing how they deal (or don't deal) with security issues? Unacceptable.

In today's integrated world and potential to damage or do harm in a power or water network there is no room for a "back door" in any of its devices especially one that gives an outsider access to the network, either onsite or offsite. If they need a means of overcoming a lost log-on it needs to be a way to set the unit back to factory defaults, which would take it off the network and necessitate a new configuration and/or program. Edited by RussB

And for safety the ability to reset to Factory Defaults must be done by either a validated logged on admin user or by being physically present at the device.