Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jomi

Realtime motion control

5 posts in this topic

Hello everybody, I am new to all this PLC-Programming and hope that my question is placed here correctly. I want to develop an application to control an Omron linear motor via a CJ2M and a MCW151 in realtime and collect sensordata also connected to the CJ2M. Connected is the CJ2M via Ethernet to my PC. My question is if this task is possible through some non commercial communication link. I've seen that there are some ActiveX connection protokolls in the download section. Does the PLC support such realtime communication and servo control or is it only possible to store the motion on the PLC and run it afterwards? Are there already implementations or examples of such problems? Thanks a lot jomi

The PLC can communicate with the motion controller fast enough to do most things. Usually the motion controller does all the motion control and the PLC simply issues commands or tells the motion controller when to execute user programs in the RMC motion controller. The motion controller has 64 MB of ram which is more than the PLC has. There are examples here: http://www.deltamotion.com/dloads/downloads.php?category=rmc100&subcategory=Examples

Thanks for your quick respnse. Did I understand you right that I should use another motion controller instead of the Omron MCW151 and connect the motion controller directly to the PC and not via the PLC? Then through the PLC I can read my sensor Data and from acceleration and position sensors.

Don't switch to a different manufacturer, just switch to a CJ module that can be used with the CJ2 PLC. There are many options available. Do you already have an MCW151 and W-Series drive? Perhaps I can point you in the right direction. If you already have a W-Series drive, it supports pulse train input commands and there is a pulse train position control module that is inexpensive and plugs into the CJ2M PLC. The part number is a CJ2M-MD21_. If you already have the MCW151, it is a motion controller that plugs onto the side of a drive and has one of two different interfaces. See the chart below: If it is the -DRT-E model, then it supports DeviceNet and the CJ1W-DRM21 Master can be connected to the CJ2M and can communicate with the MCW151. If it is the non -DRT model, it supports the Host link slave protocol. An Omron serial port (either RS232 or 422/485 port) can communicate with it. The easiest way to do this is with a CJ1W-SCU module that can be connected to the CJ2M and communicate with the CJ2M using the built in Host Link Master Protocol. The non - DRT model also supports Host Link Master protocol. That means that you can plug it into any serial port on the PLC and set the port to Host Link protocol and the MCW151 can initiate the communications. If you already have a spare port on the PLC, you can just set it up as Hostlink and use it. If you have a CJ2M-CPU3_ that has an available port on the processor, you can install a CP1W-CIF** module to communicate to the MCW151. So, you can communicate to the controller using serial comms and then configure the MCW151 to control the drive, or you can remove the MCW151 from the W-Series servo and control it with pulses and the CJ2M-MD21_ module. Either way will work. I have attached a link below to the manual for the MCW151 module. http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=966 Good luck. Edited by Michael Walsh

Thanks again for you quick and detailed answer. I have got an MCW-151-E, a CJ2M-CPU32 and also a CP1W-CIF11 Module. Everythis is preconnected and I think that it is connected as you've written in your post. I'll try to understand the comminucation protocoll. But you helped me a lot with your advise.