Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nick5405

Adding Modules that don't appear in CXOne lists

6 posts in this topic

This probably sounds really dumb but I am completely new to this. I inherited a couple of CS1G's with a bunch of IO modules and a 10 way backplane from a piece of equipment that was scrapped. I got the CPU talking after days of fiddling around with the serial cable, I have an ID291 installed but I have to get some kind of OP module going to get any further. I've got an OD218 and an ID217 as well but when I try to install either with CXOne they are not in the listings. How do I deal with this type of install? Thanks

I guess you must have C200H special I/O units installed. Hook up to the PLC and create an I/O table - upload the I/O table from the PLC and maybe you can see the cards I think. Those cards were never listed for the C200H series either if I remember correctly. Have not used them for many years. Edited by BobB

Hi Try to switch the PLC to stop mode. Open the I/O table. Clear the I/O table. Create a new I/O table, let the software do the I/O table. Restart the PLC ( change to monitor mode again) Banker

I agree with the two pieces of advice above, but offer a warning: make sure to upload the I/O table first and verify that there are not any custom address settings in the I/O table. For instance, depending upon which CS1 product you have (version-wise), it may be possible to change the beginning address that a backplane starts with or even the address that a particular slot starts with. You might find this if someone had upgraded a CQM1 to a CS1 and they wanted to have the Inputs start at 0 and the outputs start at 100 so that you would not have to changes prints and wire tags, etc. If you create the I/O andd there is a custom rack start address or slot start address, then you will wipe out that setting. So, first upload the I/O table by going to the options pulldown menu in the I/O Table window and choose transfer from the PLC. Then choose Rack/Slot Start Addresses as shown below. If the following window appears (it won't on older PLCs), then just leave it set as it pops up and click ok. If there are no special settings shown in the window (in the case of the rack starting addresses, they will all be checked as invalid) then you do not have any custom settings (see below). It would be a good idea to save off a copy of the I/O table with your project before moving on. You probably do not have custom start addresses, but I just wanted you to be aware of this potential issue. It could cause a big problem if you did have them and did a Create I/O Table.

I never fear a day goes by that I don't learn something new

Good call Michael - I had forgotten about that as I have not used that feature for some years now. Normally only used it where there was a need for a 'dummy' slot for the later addition of an input or output card.