Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CanaanP

RSL5000 non-viewable/hidden tag?

7 posts in this topic

Hello, I am wanting to design a type of drop in AOI that can be used to disable a system within 30 days for example unless a proper code is entered into HMI. I have no problem doing this, but I figure the best way to verify a code entry is to just store a DINT value and say when entered code equals stored code, then system can run. Is there a way to prevent anyone from seeing the stored DINT value though? If not, all it would take is for someone to be able to go online with PLC and search tags to find the code. I don't necessarily want to prevent the entire program from being viewed, but just a tag or two. Is this possible?

You should be able to password protect the AOI so that it can't be viewed. I would think this would also lock out the AOI specific tags. However, you could just put a hard-coded value in the comparison instructions. What is the purpose of the instruction? I'm imaging a production machine shutting down suddenly, halting production completely until an invoice is paid in full...

Yes, that is exactly right...

I know how to add signature and disable modification, but how to password protect AOI?

There's a utility available from Rockwell for that. See KB article here: http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8378

Excellent, thank you.

I hope that you have a good attorney.