Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
clyde72

MicroLogix 1500 Communication Problem

3 posts in this topic

I have a MicroLogix 1500 system with a 1764-28BXB base unit with a 1764-LSP processor. The RS-232 port is connected to a 1761-NET-ENI Series C EtherNet/IP interface. The system works as designed. The problem is 90% of the time when I unplug the cable from the base unit to the interface and hook up my laptop RSLinx will not auto configure nor will it see the processor if I manually set the communications either. Anyone have any ideas as to what could cause this? I have replaced the processor and the base unit, still the problem remains. Thanks

My first guess is the serial interface to your laptop: are you using a USB/RS232 converter ? Some inexpensive ones just don't work very well. I am a big fan of the Keyspan USA-19HS. The Net-ENI module does support the forwarding of outbound MSG instructions; are there MSG instructions firing continuously into the serial port, using up the MicroLogix buffers ? Do you have any trouble connecting your computer to the controller when you plug into the Ethernet network and use the Net-ENI without disconnecting it ?

Older computer, not using converter actually has an RS-232 port on it. Works on all other AB plcs. Will have to check on the MSG instrucitons. Didn't know I could go back through the NET-ENI. I would need the IP address correct?