Kevin_OTI

Why does Q = output?

12 posts in this topic

Hello, Some co-workers and I have recently started learning Siemens after spending our professional lives in Allen-Bradly world. One thing we cannot wrap our heads around is that in Siemens, the short hand for output is Q. In AB world your inputs and outputs are labeled I and O respectively, but in Siemens world inputs and outputs are I and Q. We asked several more knowledgeable co-workers about this and they had no clue (I guess it never occurred to them). In what language does Output begin with a Q? Was it just a random decision when Siemens was first in development? Thanks.

Q doesn't look like a zero.

Hello, Concur with Q does not look like zero. OP. Siemens is not the only entity using Q in place of 'O'. In electronics, Q is very common.

Well an I looks like a 1. That does not sound like a reasonable explanation.

After doing some more research I discovered that as well. I'm still very curious as to the explanation behind Q being used to symbolize Output. As I stated above, an I looks like a 1 so why do they still use I for input? Edited by Kevin_OTI

Not to try and confuse the question however the I and Q were for the english speaking countries.. The german is E for inputs and A for outputs. Rod Edited by Rodney

Hi, While I (uppercase I) and 1 look alike it is closer to l (lower case L) on older systems. The font you selected had the horizontal bar at the top and the bottom. The font I am using now does not contain the bars on the uppercase I. Take a look back when all font characters had the same width, 0 and O were identical width. You might see 0 with a slash through it to distinguish the two. Today you still might see the slash in a zero. Also remember, paper and pencil/pen were first. A guy writing 0 or O might not make sure the O was wider. And then when copied and reduced it was undistinguishable. That little tail on the Q was all that was needed.

Many PLC vendors don't differentiate input and output with I and O or I and Q. The IEC Standard uses I and Q. Mitsubishi uses X for input and Y for output, which is far more obvious. Omron and the old Modicons just assigns numbers, not letter required. Telemecanique products used I and Q since they were European, and that's where the IEC spec really took hold first. So which did come first, the chicken or the egg??

this is the Mitsubishi IEC programming software. where it is progammed as in a tag form but the Mitsubishi still use the X and the Y which is the software downloaded to the P.L.C. But the IEC as Crossbow mentioned has the X and Q

Transistors are denoted by Q in electronics. I always thought that was the source of Qs in PLC domain.

I thought Q meant Q for Quelle, meaning "source", as in, outputs source current or voltage. Siemens' technical dictionary, Fachwörterbuch Energie- und Automatisierungstechnik, in the German English volume has Quelle f(Transistor: "Source")/ source n Dan

hi!

I have the same quiestion and finally i have the answer:

1. That Q is only an english nmemonics to name the output.

2. When, I make a new question to my PLC's teacher and he response me that Q is the same used for the output on logic gates like AND, OR, NOT, etc.

3. Then, I investigate that Q really means "Quantum" emphasizing a discrete state on the Turing Machine. ( https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/51625/why-is-the-output-of-stateful-elements-often-named-q#:~:text=8%20Answers&text=Alan%20Turing%20used%20the%20letter,was%20permeating%20the%20scientific%20%C3%A6ther. )

Grettings from Colombia!

Edited by Karlos Esmuz