Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jazzplayermark

New user can't connect crimson emulator to plc

11 posts in this topic

I've been retired for many and just now coming back into PLC programming. I have NO experience using HMIs. In my first attempt I'm trying to connect an AB micrologix 1100. I have the following in place: AB Micrologix 1100 RxLinx classic RsLogix 500 micro crimson 3.0 and old Dell pc with one serial port and ethernet I have com1 configure as DF1-master I have an ethernet cable connected to the plc and configured. I can ping it fine so I think the connection is good. I can download a program from rslogix to the plc and it runs fine. I have configured a very simple control panel in crimson but I can't get the emulator to talk to the plc at all. I've been over the communications setting many times and just can't find anything wrong. I guess I'm lost as to how to troubleshoot it. I'd like to be able to verify that the communcations from the crimson emulator and the plc are working, but I can't seen to find a way to do that. Any help would be appreciated.

Under Link > Options > Panel Emulation, click the "Configure..." button. Then make sure that under "Ethernet Mapping, Ethernet Port 1" to select your PC ethernet card. I think that might be the only thing I've had to do in the past. Also, what build of Crimson are you using? Early versions had an issue with emulated ethernet comms. Edited by OkiePC

I've never used the emulator since I generally have the physical device on the table in front of me. I just tried it on an existing project and it worked fine. May be a dumb question, but do you have the PLC set up under "Communications" in the navigation pane?

I have given the HMI an IP address on the "Network" settings: I have the ethernet port protocol 1 set to "Allen-Bradley DF1 Master". Under that, I have one device (see settings below). I don't recall changing any of these settings except the IP address set to identify the SLC. Edited by OkiePC

Is that the right driver? With Crimson I thought I used the 'DF1 Master Via PCCC/EIP' over Ethernet for an ML1100.

I have gotten it to work with either driver. The driver you listed is what I have used on other applications, but this one was one of my early experiences with Crimson, and hasn't been downloaded to a real HMI. I just use it as a remote troubleshooting tool for some machinery with a very poorly written PV+ program. So, yes, try the 'DF1 Master Via PCCC/EIP' driver too...

Thanks. I've tried both drivers. I also did find a big problem in that my plc did not have the ip address setup. I thought I had done it but it was blank. If fixed that with BOOTP and now it appears everybody likes the 1100. When I'm in crimson I can 'verify' link and it reports everything is ok. I have no errors. I've tried to just put up a couple of indicators. I've linked one directly to the plc output, the other I linked through a 'flag' tag. Neither one seems to be reading the plc. I'm going to try to capture some network data with wireshark...

I did finally get it to work. I wound up using 'DF1 Master Via PCCC/EIP'. I had tried it earlier to no avail but I've probably fixed the real problem along the way and didn't know it. Thanks to all for your help. Sorry I can't give an absolute reason for the problem. I did try to go back to the DF1 Master' driver though and it does NOT work. I'm on build 459 of crimson 3.0

Make sure you disable your Bootp now. You may have already set your IP up, but if you didn't disable your Bootp, then it reset everything when you powered the PLC off.

Thanks Sparky. I did have that problem, but found it after a couple of re-tries :)