Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
clyde72

RS-485 and DH-485

5 posts in this topic

I have a system that has a PanelView 550 DH-485, SLC 5/03, and 7 PowerFlex 4's. The drives are currently not networked and are controlled with discrete I/O and potentiometers for speed. I want to network the drives to the SLC 5/03. I need to use the existing equipment. This is what I've came up with. (see attached file) Anyone see any problems with this? Wulftec Line 5 Network Proposal.pdf

As manual says at page 4.2, I don't think you'll need 1203-SNM. The manual have a program example with SLC. http://ab.rockwellautomation.com/drives/communication/22-scm-232#/tab6 I don't recommend you to use this network to control start and stop signal on the drive. This is very slow network, more for monitor, get fault number and in some case set speed reference. Your drive control could have a lag of 1 sec!

If your SLC-5/03 controller is new or has modern firmware in it (OS302 Series C FRN 11) it will have Modbus RTU Master protocol on the serial port, which means you don't even need the 232-SCM protocol converter. A simpler 1761-NET-AIC module will suffice for converting between RS-232 and RS-485 (plus it's very nicely isolated on the RS485 side).

I had not planned on using the network to control start and stop, only to change speed and a few other parameters. System will be stopped before change so speed will not be an issue. Thanks!

I'll have to check and see. Did not know this was possible. Thanks!